Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help!

430hpToy

I'm lost! I think my radiator is toast but not sure. Here's the problem... After the car has been running for a while and under some kind of load, it starts to overheat. If I crank the heat, it sometimes cools down, when the temp. does drop it drops instantly, almost like there's a big air pocket or somethig, if it doesn't drop, well then it gets really ****** and starts steaming and the radiator cap starts making noises and it starts spitting water out of the overflow.

Here's what I've tried so far....

Changed the thermostat

Flushed the system added new coolent and water

Pulled the thermostat and ran without one

Pulled the main hose on the ignition side and ran water through to make sure everything was circulating correctly

Ran the car each time and still does the same thing!!! :help::help::help:

Could it be loosing pressure somewhere?

I had a similar problem in a previous car & the head gasket blew. I think it was all caused by a knackered radiator cap. Worth changing that while you try other fixes as it's such a cheap part.

well i did try changing the radiator cap with my gf's cap off her 90 camry, and it really didn't make a difference! maybe that cap is bad too. i don't know! It worked fine on her car though! :crybaby:

Maybe the hoses need changing?

I'm sure a 2 expert will be along shortly to offer some advice. :thumbsup:

Maybe the hoses need changing?

I'm sure a 2 expert will be along shortly to offer some advice. :thumbsup:

I hope so! lol

changed the hoses when i did the motor swap!

When you fill it with coolent the heater has to be set to hot else you will get an airlock, try bleeding it in the hot position..... If you do end up needing a new rad I can probably sort you out....

Hope this helps,

Matt.

how do you suggest to fill this huge cooling system, other then keeping the temp set to hot? do i do this with the car running and having it set to hot?

have you checked the head gasket is it loosing water at all?

the head gasket is cool i just put a STR copper head gasket on it!

This is the bleed process,

Start by putting her of level ground... connect pipes and open the front bleed valves (one on the top of the rad and one comming off the coolent pipes and the drivers bulkhead). Then open the rad cap and start filling, when it backs up and you can't get any more in the put the cap back on half way, cdlose the bleed valves and run the car for ~3 minutes. Then repeat the bleed process again until you can't get anymore in.

On an emptly system you should get about 10 litres in however there will always be an amount in the engine, i'd be happy with 6-8 litres. Make sure you use a glycol based coolent else the **** will hit the fan!!

Matt.

yeah .. water can freze and bust pipes in winter ..

also will rust the insides of the pipes and then you'll have rust floating about causing blockages ..

This is the bleed process,

Start by putting her of level ground... connect pipes and open the front bleed valves (one on the top of the rad and one comming off the coolent pipes and the drivers bulkhead). Then open the rad cap and start filling, when it backs up and you can't get any more in the put the cap back on half way, cdlose the bleed valves and run the car for ~3 minutes. Then repeat the bleed process again until you can't get anymore in.

On an emptly system you should get about 10 litres in however there will always be an amount in the engine, i'd be happy with 6-8 litres. Make sure you use a glycol based coolent else the **** will hit the fan!!

Matt.

well i just tryed this... it seemed to have worked at first but then went back to overheating :crybaby:

What I did was leave the engine running and bounce on the car .. the water level at the engine end disapears .. fill it and then bounce the car again .. took about a hour to get ALL the air out of mine ..

Use clear pipes/hoses for the front so you can see the levels ..

try having the back end on jacks to see if you can get the air to rise to the back car that way if it makes sense

do as matt said but turn the ignition on then stop it and re bleed and top up a few times. If you still have problems then you must have a leak somewhere, my waterpump is being done as we speck, common leaky area on the mr2, you don't notice it at first (the leak that is) as it hits the block and evaporates off so no drips or it running aywhere

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links