Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Conversions

Titto

Ok, lets presume i was going to get a turbo conversion done by Rev6 maybe next year.... What are the implecations afterwards regarding:

1) Vehicle log book (V5) - <would it need to be changed to turbo? or left as is?

2) Insurance - fill me in?

3) MOT time - eg, my car is a '92 import, if it had the conversion, would it need a CAT test?!! - see where im going with this?

Come on all, loads of posts please please.

I've spent some good monet on my N/A and I dont want to get rid: im getting revamped suspension and brakes soon. But im being more and more tempted with getting a decent conversion!

Thanks

Adam

1) would have to inform dvla of new engine number so it matched the car

2) insurance company defo have to be told

3) not sure

Hope this helps some people with the MOT question on catalytic converters...

mot-cat-turbo.jpg

...now go and get that Aussie downpipe!

:D

Ahhh, but: it seems its down to the vehicle, NOT the engine, so by my reckoning, it would still need a cat test. Bugger.

there is a loop hole though. if you can prove that the engine does not req cat test ie age or import then the engine is tested according to year

Cheers Dawsey, i'll have to look into this because as far as i can see, the test is based on the vehicle (not the engine). I'll go and see a mate who's a mech and see what he says.

Cheers all,

PS: this mech mate is also going to look the car over to see if i do need new springs and shocks (he reckons it'll just be the shocks as springs last a long time - we'll see) - so that'll be more money towards my dream conversion - I actually had a dream about it last night!! HOW SAD!!!!

Also, what would my car be classed as upon conversion???

Still a Gt? or what? Thinking of what the V5 would say?!!!

ahhhh!!! Must...Have....TUrbo...

titto i was gonna go dwn this route aswell. but from what i've heard/ead its better to try and sell ur car priv for a decent pice then get a tubby.

-Z

if I had my car the way it was but a n/a, I would go engine conversion route also. Which I think is why titto is.. he loves his car and doesn't want rid.

aye i TOTALLY understand jimbo, (and titto).

Luckily i decided upon wanting a turbo before i sutck everything into the n/a. just annoys me now that i've got all these bits and bobs DYING to go on2 the car, lol

-Z

Zero, i know what your saying mate... But i do like 'my' car! but more importantly ive spent so much already, it'd be even more of a waste to get rid only to have to re-spend it again!!!!

There are 2 things i want the most doing and they are the most expensive!

1)respray

2)conversion

...im never gonna have any money!

Get that overtime in Titto...!

I want a turbo'd car, maybe not a Two.... but something that has a turbine can be modded FAR more than an n/a... and there's no better feeling then when the turbo spools up and kicks in.

As for the conversion, I havn't got a clue really... other than it costs about £3,000 and your insuramnce goes up!

:thumbsup:

yeah, another reason not to do it....but i've also heard that in some cases its been cheaper to get insured on a converted one.

Plus, would you declare it to your insurance compant as an 'mr2 turbo' or a 'converted mr2' - i suppose i'll have to get in touch with the DVLA and get some answers.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links