Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stopped By The Police.. ( Again ! )

Jimlad

Sick of getting stopped by the police for my number plates. This time they gave me a thing saying I had to get them changed within 21 days. They also gave me a producer and a breath test.

FFS !!!! Coppers !?!?

Ok...

I thought import vehicles were exempt from UK # plate rules ? Especially the MR2 because there isn't a EU equivelant of the car or something like this ??

Bibbs... I know you know the info I'm looking for... because I think you've told me before.

it's all posted on here mate ..

JUST SEARCH FOR IT !!

i got stopped for the first time eva on friday an they gave me a producer but dint check nowt i.e tyres, and my front plate is illegal cuz it doesnt have the BS marking as i have cut the edges of the plate down in otherwords its legal but doesnt look it

Quite silly really, as if you'd spend a fotune on your car & then run around on bald tyres... :rolleyes:

Instead how about stopping the six dodgy looking pikeys in the Renault 19 which is 17 diffferent shades of blue & has more rust that a old baked bean tin washed onto a beach in winter... :ph34r:

im sure top gear mag did a test on this once

basically they had two cars, both golfs i think?

one was a full on international show winning car with not one bit left std

one was a total nail, cut'n'shut, no tax, test, bald tyres, yadda yadda

they were driven round for a week i think and the full modder was pulled over about 12-15 times!

not even a peep on the nacker :ffs:

it is rediculous...

ok.. finally found the original thread about number plates..

link

DVLA states...

Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles

(which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate)

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates

the SW20 with the 3S-GTE engine is not EU approved and I don't have enough space for normal plates .... so.. can I goto the police with this information and argue my case ??

Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height

64mm

Character Width

44mm

Character Stroke

10mm

Space between characters

10mm

I'm gonna go and measure my plates in a moment.... lol. If they are the above sizes... what do I do ? goto the police station and say... "oih ... you're wrong !" ?

If that's what the DVLA states; and your car is clearly not approved. They won't have a leg to stand on :thumbsup:

Make sure your plates are the right size. Print off the stuff from the DVLA webby & take it down

jaxx i kno ur lying u kno damn rite that wot max power i do, (sorry for swearing), an si ur rite i spend 2k on mods an u fink im gonna risk losin th elove of my life for the sake of a 50 quid tyre?

yes you bleedin do mate, AND MAKE SURE YOU TELL US WHAT HAPPENED!!!

if they still get funny, your best bet is to contest it, let them take it to court, then watch them curl up as they find out how wrong they were

the only problem is I can't find this info on the DVLA site. Although, that's where I got it from originally..... argh !

Anyone help me out here ?

jaxx i kno ur lying u kno damn rite that wot max power i do, (sorry for swearing), an si ur rite i spend 2k on mods an u fink im gonna risk losin th elove of my life for the sake of a 50 quid tyre?

:blink::rolleyes::unsure:

in fact i think you right and it was a golf and a polo.........maybe??

cant remember! :arrgg-matey:

ok.. lol

I'm scewed.. my letters aren;t even big enough for the smaller sized import spec.. lol

My plates are defo illegal.... DOH !

went around a few places and finally found one that will make me up legal plates. They are gonna use motorbike sized letters. They say it'll be fine as they've used them on imports before. If I get stopped again, I've then to get this place to get me all the required legal guff regarding lettering etc, so the police can't hassle me again.

Jim, why dont you go into a nick and ask to see a traffic bobby then? Go in armed with your info and see what their info is? Your up in Scotland too so the Law may be different (i've never heard of the 21 day thing - its 2 weeks in England and Wales)...

But to say that you'd spend a fortune on a car then run around on bold tyres - thats VERY VERY true!!! Even the pimp daddies in their top notch cars do that! Schoolboy error...

End of the day, in my opinion, small plates look stupid! Plus, like road tax, we all have to abide by it, and you shouldnt be exempt - not havin a go mate, but think about it, get rid of the small plates and put decent ones on, arm yourself with the DVLA knowledge and you'll have nowt to moan about!

Laters

Adam

...Just asked a friend what he reckons...

Basically when a car comes into the country it is given a UK registration number. If it is just temporarily visiting (like a foreigner here) then its ok.

But, jims isnt like that so;

Any registration it displays must meet the reqs laid out by law, detailed somewhere on here.

Now, the MR2 allows you to display a UK style rectangle plate on the front (straight away Jim is Failing to Display that plate correctly). However, the rear is more difficult: It only allows for the odd rectangluar ones (like a sideways motorbike style) and clearly the registration has to be clearly readable from the rear so:

Whether or not the mr2 conforms to this European Community thingy or not IT DOES NOT QUALIFY for the next statement:

"the vehicles construction/design cannot accomodate standard size plates " (then it goes onto give other specs for those given sizes... So by going on that, they should be those sizes, which again are clearly readable...

Its a greyish area mate, but its still makes you eligable for a pull. However, i think you'd still be liable at Court because your front isnt correct, and the rear should be clearly readable. Like i say, BEFORE you get it corrected go and speak to someone at your local nick - they'll get to know you too and it'll make them do their homework.

Hope this helps a bit,

Adam

"the vehicles construction/design cannot accomodate standard size plates " (then it goes onto give other specs for those given sizes... So by going on that, they should be those sizes, which again are clearly readable...

with an aftermarket nose the cars design and construction does not allow a standard uk plate...

That wouldnt be an excuse, the actual vehicle is the original spec and design, so in effect fitting an aftermarket nose etc would not exempt you from displaying a legal plate. (again tho, its getting technical but if it went all the way then you wouldnt have a lawful excuse as far as im aware).

Point is, if you display blatant things you are much more likely to get pulled.

Its not illegal to buy a noisy exhaust, it is to use it - same principals.

PS: im only posting this stuff cos i hope some find it useful - its not meant to wind anyone up - believe me im not like that! - Jus trying to help everyone out if i can...

The ORIGIONAL cars couldn't mount a UK sized plate - it'd not fit in the plate holder ..

I know you could get a new plate holder - but why the hell should I?

My car is an import, not EU approved, and I can't fit UK plates. Therefore I can use Motorbike plates ..

with my last 2 i just got rev 6 to make me up a stick on plate that went on the bottom lip of the spoiler, don't protrude and make a mess but had legal lettering, and had a reflective film on it so the coppers never complained :)

actually had one comment on how nice it looked when he pulled me over for speeding :D

I'd print the document off the DVLA site and put it in your glovebox and then when they ask next time pull the doc out ..

The only diff between the import plates and the motorbike plates - is that the imports have no minimum border specified ..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links