Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speaker Wiring.

SharkBait

Hello,

I've been looking for a place where I can talk about Corolla's and such and I have found this place!

Anyway, my question:

I have a 96 Corolla and I am interesting in re-wiring the Speakers at the back. I've noticed they run from the back deck along the drivers side along the door sill and then into a relay of sorts and then (i am guess on this part) into the wiring harness I have for my deck.

Now the standard speaker wires look like a small gauge, perhaps 16? To rewire, would I just follow the cables (with 16 gauge stranded copper stereo cables) from the terminals of the Speakers to that driver side kick panel relay?

My buddies (as a surprize bday thing) took my car and had 6x9s put into the back deck of the car (which doesnt seem to fit really well, since the car is made for 6.5s. Anyway, for re-wiring them, would I just go into that kickpanel, or bypass that and go into the wire harness?

Thanx

I put a pair of 6.5's in my '96 and just used the wiring that was there. It seems to be working fine, although I suppose if you've got a really nice deck, better wiring wouldn't be a bad investment. I didn't think it would be worth the work seeing how hard it was just to get the upholstery off to put the new Speakers in. Not being much of a speaker geek, though, my instinct if I were doing it would be to follow the wirepath the manufacturer used.

If you were re wiring it, you would follow the same path of wire as before, ie on the drivers side, then wire it directly to the harness at the back of your head unit..easiest way.

If you want to add an amp later, then make sure you run the power cable on the passenger side of the car from the Battery to the boot. If you lay power cable and speaker wires together, you get BIG interference.

If you want to add an amp later, then make sure you run the power cable on the passenger side of the car from the battery to the boot. If you lay power cable and speaker wires together, you get BIG interference.

I work in professional Audio and know very little about Car Audio. But I can say that in my experiences (in pro audio) that running mains cable and speaker cable together are fine. It's the signal cable and mains cable runs you can't put together. Especially in car audio where everything is unbalanced Phono (or RCA) connectors.

If you have no choice but to run signal and mains cable together, you'll need balancing line transformers each end of your signal cable (turning your signal cable into a balanced run) to eliminate the earth loop and the buzzes emmiting as a result.

If you want to add an amp later, then make sure you run the power cable on the passenger side of the car from the battery to the boot. If you lay power cable and speaker wires together, you get BIG interference.

I work in professional Audio and know very little about Car Audio. But I can say that in my experiences (in pro audio) that running mains cable and speaker cable together are fine. It's the signal cable and mains cable runs you can't put together. Especially in car audio where everything is unbalanced Phono (or RCA) connectors.

If you have no choice but to run signal and mains cable together, you'll need balancing line transformers each end of your signal cable (turning your signal cable into a balanced run) to eliminate the earth loop and the buzzes emmiting as a result.

Oh, never heard of that before :blink:

I was just quoting what I read from this forum, and numerous other guides on the internet.

If you think about it, it's current (electrical mains) that runs down speaker cable giving +tive and -tive electrons turning the speaker magnet into and electrical magnet causing the coil to move in and out the magnetic gap. The cone then creates the air pressure and converting the signal into what we perseive as sound. A speaker is a transducer that needs electical current to enable it's operation.

An amplifier also needs these electrons to opperate and do it's job. It's main function is converting light current (signal from head unit) into a heavier current down the speaker wires to the Speakers.

Out of practice it's not good to run signal cables with speaker cable either unless the signal cables are balanced.

A balanced signal cable has three cores a +tive, a -tive and a screen. all three cores need to be connected independantly in order for it to be balanced. A decent balanced signal cable will have a braided screen offering more protection agains bad earths and electrical current.

An unbalanced signal cabled will more than likely have three cores, but the screen will be coupled with the -tive.

Speaker cable for home and car audio will normally consist of two copper cores running parralell with each other. Audio files will say that that gold plated twin core is best... :rolleyes: But I find that if the two cores twist around each other for the entire run (also known as cross pairing or twisted pairs) it acts as a noise canceler and reduces current drop-out.

Now I could go further into a whole hoard of technicallities and mathematecal equasions but that would just bore you :P

Hey everyone, Im so glad that this topic came up. I have a 95 and it sounds like your wiring for the rear deck is the same as mine. But I have question. I got this car with a nice JVC cd player in it but no Speakers but the 9 year old 4 inch in the front doors. So I changed those and now I want to put 6-1/2's in the rear deck. So can anyone give me are put a link with the steps to actually putting in the Speakers. I would like some guidelines. I did the doors myslef without a problem but I dont understand this rear deck. I cant find the wire for the Speakers and theres no speakers back there now, So I just need some advice if anyone has some. Thanks -Seth

:thumbsup: If your car is an E10 rolla, your back Speakers should be located in the rear. They are located underneath the trim panel, just by your rear door pillars. If you look for a lot of pre drilled holes in the back, this will identify where your Speakers are!

To change them , you have got to take the top of the trim off - this is done very easy, as it is only held in place by some screws.

I can post a guide from Haynes manual on how to do it.

Hope that will help!

BTW where r u getting ur rear Speakers from? I went to Halfords and they didn't have any of that size (6 1/4 by 4"). I had to settle for a nice set of Sony Xplode 6x9s in the back and 165cm Sony custom speakers up front :lol:

Hey, Thanks about the Haynes manual idea.... And Im getting my Speakers from Crutchfield. There the only place I'll order from online and they have the best selection if you ask me. Just copy and past this to go to there and look http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uCumN906B0n/. If that doesnt work then just type crutchfield.com Anyways, they have any Speakers from 3-1/2's to 15's for subs and any brand you can think of. But enough of that. And thanks for the advice

And so you know. Im gonna get some X-plodes Pioneers or some Panasonic 6-1/2's. Cant afford much but I like the sound of the X-plodes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links