Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

some advice please

Dols653

Hi guys Been A while since I was last on, I have been doing alot of repairs on my 2003 corolla verso. I knew couple things needed sorted when I bought the car but once I had a proper look omg.... lol. anyways everything else was easy enough to get done now all thats left to do is catalytic convertor, wheel bearings, drop links, rear coil springs, and tensioner pulley and power steering pump may aswell change water pump while im at it,......  """"" Im in the middle of trying to remove the tensioner pulley but cannot get the bolt to budge I have it raised up a little to get better access couldnt get socket on no room, ive cleaned the dirt off sprayed some penetrating oil gave it another clean 17mm on breaker bar 2 of us trying to loosen it off wont budge at all lol. any suggestions on how to loosen this bolt """""""" thanks guys...

You've a few options.

When you say penetrating oil, what you using? WD40 is useless for this. I've had great success with PlusGas when trying to shift a bolt on my Corolla.

If that doesn't work, the "ultimate" solution is a 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF fluid aparently. This came recommended from an agriculture website trying to move stuck bolts etc. Be careful with this on plastics though, as it'll melt any plastic it touches.

In either case, repeat applications might be needed. Try your best to soak it, leave it for a bit, soak again etc.

Second thing you could do is try to tighten the bolt first. Doing that might mean you break the rust seal that's stopping it from moving. If it tightens, then try to loosen it. Plus if it does loosen a little, apply more pentrating fluid.

Third thing is leverage. You mention you have a breaker, how long is it? Try and get a length of pipe that can go over the breaker but will also give you more length. The longer lever you have on it, the more force you'll put on the nut to move.

Fourth thing - and only if you have the correct sockets - is put the socket on the nut and hit it with a hammer. Use the black impact sockets for this, you run the risk of exploding the chrome socket if you hit it hard enough.

After all this, and it still won't move, is attack it with heat. A blow torch, or the fancy inductor heating thing that Fuzz Townsend uses on Car S.O.S.

If none of that works, well er I hope someone else has another idea because I'm out lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

You've a few options.

When you say penetrating oil, what you using? WD40 is useless for this. I've had great success with PlusGas when trying to shift a bolt on my Corolla.

If that doesn't work, the "ultimate" solution is a 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF fluid aparently. This came recommended from an agriculture website trying to move stuck bolts etc. Be careful with this on plastics though, as it'll melt any plastic it touches.

In either case, repeat applications might be needed. Try your best to soak it, leave it for a bit, soak again etc.

Second thing you could do is try to tighten the bolt first. Doing that might mean you break the rust seal that's stopping it from moving. If it tightens, then try to loosen it. Plus if it does loosen a little, apply more pentrating fluid.

Third thing is leverage. You mention you have a breaker, how long is it? Try and get a length of pipe that can go over the breaker but will also give you more length. The longer lever you have on it, the more force you'll put on the nut to move.

Fourth thing - and only if you have the correct sockets - is put the socket on the nut and hit it with a hammer. Use the black impact sockets for this, you run the risk of exploding the chrome socket if you hit it hard enough.

After all this, and it still won't move, is attack it with heat. A blow torch, or the fancy inductor heating thing that Fuzz Townsend uses on Car S.O.S.

If none of that works, well er I hope someone else has another idea because I'm out lol.

Hi thanks for reply I use 3 in 1 high performance from Halfords

breaker bar is quite long i have a bit of pipe ive been using sorry thought I had put it up

Im going to try tightening it then loosen it after my cuppa

wasnt sure if using blow torch in this area would be ok but will give it a go 

i thought of using the nut extractor for it only got 16mm thats that out the window . 

will go give them a try ill let you know if it works out bud

Cheers 

8 hours ago, Dols653 said:

Hi thanks for reply I use 3 in 1 high performance from halfords, 

breaker bar is quite long i have a bit of pipe ive been using sorry thought I had put it up

i thought of using the nut extractor for it only got 16mm thats that out the window . 

Cheers 

happy days lol got it off, took the blow torch to it .

it had taken me  few tries slowly but got there. 

once i got the full part off took the dust cover off the pulley which is in some state and the bolt looks rounded

think its a t70 i need to use but dont think it will fit in there

5 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

You've a few options.

Hi thanks for reply I use 3 in 1 high performance from Halfords

Cheers 

the fonz lol.jpg

WIN_20170602_013545.JPG

WIN_20170602_013625.JPG

Happy days 

Got it off but when I took dust cover off to take the pulley off ,,now I know this pulley definitely needs changed lol

the garage i bought the car from said this has been done aswell as everything else I've done to it 

I think this is a t70 to take this off but doesnt look like it would work 

might take grinder do 2 straight edges and get the adjustable on it 

now just need to find new bolt to put new pulley back on 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links