Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing the battery on a 2013 Aygo?

fordulike

2013 Aygo Fire with A/C.

Is it a case of just whipping out the old Battery and fitting the new? Just wondering if the original radios are coded, or if there is anything else I should be wary of?

Hi David,

I've been trying to look into this one as well as I might need to change the Battery before winter.  As far as I know the radio codes are unnaffected if you change the Battery fairly quickly (Say within 10 minutes) but I can't seem to find a proper answer, no matter how hard I Google.  To be honest, I'm a bit wary about the Airbag situation when it comes to changing batteries, not on the Aygo but I've heard tales of Airbags being deployed when the Battery is re-connected.

They might just be scare stories, or just Folk complaining when they've done something wrong, but like you, I would like an answer from somebody that knows or has done it.....It's probably the simplest thing in the world (Like it always has been) but it's as well to be sure isn't it?

By the way, what battery are you looking at for the change?  I have my eye on the Yuasa Silver:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-silver-car-battery-hsb202

A bit more expensive than I'd like but it might be better for us Northern Lads and Lasses, when it comes to the winter months, eh? :wink:

All the best.:smile:

17 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

By the way, what battery are you looking at for the change?  I have my eye on the Yuasa Silver:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-silver-car-battery-hsb202

No, I'm gonna pull the trigger on this one. A fair bit cheaper, and a brand name where the Toyota dealer can't argue that it's not equivalent or better than the original in spec, for any warranty claims.

https://carbatteries-online.co.uk/product/bosch-002l/

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware, like most recent Toyota ICE, the radio isn't coded.

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, like most recent Toyota ICE, the radio isn't coded.

Thanks FROSTYBALLS. So it should just be a case of whipping out the old and in with the new?

Just out of interest Agent Orange, what brand name have you currently got in yours? Mine is FIAMM, and I'm not convinced that it is the original one since new.

It appears to be slightly shorter, top to bottom, than all the replacements I've researched, 170mm vs 190mm. Also the max cranking power is 300A, compared to 350A+ of the ones I've researched. The capacity is lower too at 35Ah, compared to 40Ah+ of the majority of other makes. The Bosch is 44Ah!

See Uncle Bob's post dated 3rd December 2011 on the following thread (last post) - 

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

See Uncle Bob's post dated 3rd December 2011 on the following thread (last post) - 

Spot on, just the info I was after. Big thank you :smile:

29 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Spot on, just the info I was after. Big thank you :smile:

So, judging by Uncle Bob's post, it most likely is the original Battery. A Google search has indicated that I'm probably pushing my luck at the four and a half year point. Plus, short journeys, main lights on for most of them and electric power steering, would have given the Battery a hard life.

Oh well, 65 quid well spent methinks :smile:

Remove the ignition key. Remove the negative lead then the positive lead. Then the Battery.

Replace the Battery. Positive first then negative. Start the engine let it warm up. Take the car for a good 20 minute drive 

and vary the speed and load and steering. This is to give the unit time to relearn situations as soon as possible.

Keep the revs between 2000-4000 rpm if possible during this phase.

• Like 1

Ps. My "green bubble " has been black for more than a year now, and l don't live in hot climate 

3 hours ago, fordulike said:

Just out of interest Agent Orange, what brand name have you currently got in yours? Mine is FIAMM, and I'm not convinced that it is the original one since new.

Just to confirm, David, mine is a Fiamm and it's the original, hence me thinking that it might be ready for a new one as I've had good service from it.  I did quite fancy that Yuasa as a replacement but after looking at the specs on the Bosch that you found, I'll go for that one, as and when, save myself a few bob and get a Battery brand that I trust more....You get the "Spotter's Badge" for today!! :wink:....Nice one!

Many thanks and all the best. :smile:

37 minutes ago, Kenny500 said:

Take the car for a good 20 minute drive 

and vary the speed and load and steering. This is to give the unit time to relearn situations as soon as possible.

Are you suggesting that the electric power steering resets itself, and then relearns how twisty-turny a driver's route is, to adjust the steering?

I knew the throttle usage was learnt by the ECU, but didn't know the power steering ECU did it too.

Hi, I am not sure this is 100% true but it's worth  phone call. I do know Toyota are very competitive on the price of their batteries and I am sure when I was getting a spare part, only wiper blade rubber inserts and they fitted them for free am from memory I am sure the sales guy told me they fit batteries, if bought from them, free of charge also another thing, when i bought a new tyre they priced matched a quote I had from my local tyre shop, fitted it for free and they do free puncture repairs if you got the tyre from them where as my local tyre shop charge over £15 with the idea if the tyre can't be mended they get to sell you a new tyre. I find on same parts Toyota dealers spares are not always expensive which people automatically think so it's worth a phone call at least. Of course some spare parts are silly money but others they often price match and you can haggle with them  with free fitting on some items. Mike.

10 minutes ago, Mike169 said:

Hi, I am not sure this is 100% true but it's worth  phone call. I do know Toyota are very competitive on the price of their batteries and I am sure when I was getting a spare part, only wiper blade rubber inserts and they fitted them for free am from memory I am sure the sales guy told me they fit batteries, if bought from them, free of charge also another thing, when i bought a new tyre they priced matched a quote I had from my local tyre shop, fitted it for free and they do free puncture repairs if you got the tyre from them where as my local tyre shop charge over £15 with the idea if the tyre can't be mended they get to sell you a new tyre. I find on same parts Toyota dealers spares are not always expensive which people automatically think so it's worth a phone call at least. Of course some spare parts are silly money but others they often price match and you can haggle with them  with free fitting on some items. Mike.

Thanks for the info Michael. I'm done and dusted with the swap though. Took me literally 5 minutes. Probably the easiest job I've done on a car, even the Battery is light as a feather lol.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links