Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Knowledge On Mr2 Mk 2

jerry phipps

Hi everyone

I've got a mate of mine who in the market to buy a MR2 Mk 2. What are the key points to look out for and also are there other club sites so he could look at some examples. Is it true that it's best to but a club car as it's beening better looked after??

Views and comments would be appreciated :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Hello mate.

What sort of money is he looking at spending on the car itself?

Is he after turbo or normally aspirated (age will very much determine insurance on this one)?

Give me those answers and I'll help!... :thumbsup:

www.mr2oc.co.uk is the fastest growing and probably the friendliest MR2 specific club around. Lots of help available from owners and local peeps are always willing to help/show off their cars. Where does your mate live?

Hello mate.

What sort of money is he looking at spending on the car itself?

Is he after turbo or normally aspirated (age will very much determine insurance on this one)?

Give me those answers and I'll help!... :thumbsup:

Hi Jesus

Well he wants to spend about £4000 max and age isn't a problem as he's 37 years old. And the non turbo reversion would be best for him i think. So what do you recommend then buddy ;)

jerry!!

www.mr2oc.co.uk is the fastest growing and probably the friendliest MR2 specific club around. Lots of help available from owners and local peeps are always willing to help/show off their cars. Where does your mate live?

Hi Stef Derner

Cheers for that mate. I will tell my friend about this website :thumbsup: My mate also live's in luton as well.

jerry!!

For £4000 he'd be lucky to get a really good Rev3 Turbo (which started in 94 I believe)... but could get a pretty decent Rev2 which is only down on power by about 20bhp from stock [apparently]. If he went for the normally aspirated car like you say, he probably could get a later car. Some of the normally aspirated guys might be able to help you here, like RicoMR2 et al.

Does he like roof off action, because he could go down the T-Bar route. Some people say they're not quite as rigid as the tin tops and therefore not quite so good for track days. I've got a T-Bar and can't say I'm dissapointed with the rigidity... but then, I haven't driven a Rev3 turbo tin top!

:thumbsup:

He lives in Luton eh? Well that's just 20 minutes from me. I could always go and look at some when he's ready.

I'll chip in again later...!

Hi geeza, try contacting Rash on here, he might be able to sort you out a rev 3 for that price. i think Fizz got rev 3 for aroudn that price of him :thumbsup:

For £4000 he'd be lucky to get a really good Rev3 Turbo (which started in 94 I believe)... but could get a pretty decent Rev2 which is only down on power by about 20bhp from stock [apparently]. If he went for the normally aspirated car like you say, he probably could get a later car. Some of the normally aspirated guys might be able to help you here, like RicoMR2 et al.

Does he like roof off action, because he could go down the T-Bar route. Some people say they're not quite as rigid as the tin tops and therefore not quite so good for track days. I've got a T-Bar and can't say I'm dissapointed with the rigidity... but then, I haven't driven a Rev3 turbo tin top!

:thumbsup:

He lives in Luton eh? Well that's just 20 minutes from me. I could always go and look at some when he's ready.

I'll chip in again later...!

Cheers Jesus

Well thats great mate. You guys are really friendly and helpful. When he's ready to buy one mate i'll give you a shout and perhaps you can both put heads together and sort out a nice ride :yes:

thanks again jerry!!

Hi Jerry, me again. Your friend should check out the IMOC site http://www.imoc.co.uk the MR2 Owners Club http://www.mr2oc.co.uk and the MR2 Drivers Club http://www.mr2dc.com There are links to other sites from there. I think you are probably right in that a club member car would probably be a better buy.

The most common threads that seem to occur for problems with the MR2 seem to be clonks from the suspension, coolant leaks, sticking brake calipers and door glass mechanism failures. As with any car of this type some sort of service history would be a good indication, though of course if he goes for an import its most likely that it will be sketchy at best before its import, although a few imports do come with their history. The imports tend to be better equipped but are a little more costly to insure. If he goes non turbo then parts are generally no problem as its pretty much the same as a UK car and they all came from the same Yamaha factory anyway. Even the turbo version isn't that hard to source parts for, the chassis is identical to the N/A version of the same age and its the same engine as a Celica GT4.

The 3S-GE engine is supposedly a SAFE engine so if the cam belt should fail it doesn't mean smashed valves and pistons. Belt change is 60,000 miles and can cost up to £500 so make sure its been done or budget for it. Hope this has been of some use.

Regards Kelvyn.

would have to agree, with IMOC or here as the best clubs for mr2's, not necessarily best to buy a club car as unfortunatel sys g founf out but can be a safer option if it is a well known club member, t-bars are always popular but beware the leaky roof :)

best bet is to look through the mr2 section as a number of people have been asking the same question recently :)

Rhaines - and some of us are still looking :crybaby:

<_<

No Car..... No Sig!

If he's got £4k .. I'd suggest he drives everything in the paper local from 2k to 6k ..

And NA's, Turbo's, T-bars the lot ..

Then he'll be able to have a better idea of a "good" car ..

would have to agree, with IMOC or here as the best clubs for mr2's

Your friend should check out the IMOC site http://www.imoc.co.uk

IMO give me this forum ANYDAY!! Some of the members on imoc seem VERY set in there way's....I quite often find that some aren't really open to suggestion and because everyone has been doing something for so long it has to be right and there is no other option (even though it hasn't really been looked into and everyone just copies...like sheep following each other) There are some that know a bit though and worth a look.....just don't take everything said on there as the be all and end all :)

Type III Turbo T-top here and the flex ain't enough to put me off (I don't really notice it) :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Rhaines - and some of us are still looking :crybaby:

<_<

No Car..... No Sig!

still keeping my ears down fella, as suggested better to mke sure its a good un first...

Cheers guys for all your replies. I will tell my mate about all the key points which you have all mentioned :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links