Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New family arrival of old Aygo

APS

I have just bought a 2010 Aygo Blue for my son. This is our first Aygo and as ever when buying a cheap second-hand car there are things that need some attention.

1. The night before we picked up the car some kind should decided the left hand wing mirror should become a separate entity, it is thus now dangling by the control cables. As far as I can see nothing is really broken but the spring loaded centre piece has popped up inside the mirror housing. Does anyone know if it's possible to disassemble the housing, ie prying out the mirror glass to gain access to the mechanism and hinge behind it?

The second option is to just buy a new mirror as I've seen they can be had for about £30. But where's the pride in that?

2. How far can you normally go after the warning buzzer sounds and the last bar starts flashing on the fuel gauge?

I drove 10 miles after the second bar disappeared and the buzzer sounded and when I filled up I could put in 34.5 litres. That seems awfully close to the stated capacity of 35 litre. I would have thought you should be able to do at least 50 miles on the 'reserve'.

3. The manual states 0w-20 oil is the preferred grade. What is the general opinion, does it make a difference on economy?

I'm sure there will be more questions as we start getting to know this car. All the while we're hoping we've not made a bad purchase and things will just need a clean and some TLC.

Many thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

1) i would say its down to the seller to make good the door mirror as this happened before you collected the car or make a reduction in price to allow for you to replace the mirror.

2) i would fill up once the light starts to flash

3) using a different oil grade can effect the economy of the car due to the oil taking longer to get to operating temperature.

1. We did get a reduction in price so that's fine. I'm just curious if I could fix it. I've now spent the day cleaning and poking around the car. Removing the coloured cover on the wing mirror revealed the spring and retainer tube. As I suspected the centre retainer tube has popped out. However, it's not possible to compress the spring AND twist the retainer tube without the use of a special tool. Seems easer to just buy a new wing mirror assembly.

2. I should have been clearer about the oil. What is everyone's experience comparing 0w-20 oil to more normal grades like 5w-30?
Is there any noticeable difference? 0w-20 oils should be less viscous at low temperatures making the engine more frugal from cold - presumably this is why they put this oil grade in the hybrids as they start and stop often taking time before reaching full operating temperature.

0W-20 has been Toyota's preferred oil in petrol engines since they introduced their Optimal Drive enhancements in 2008-09. 

In the 2009 Auris I had, for the one service the dealer did use 5W-30, and I noticed there was an increase in fuel consumption on a journey (eg. going on holiday). Since then I've always asked for 0W-20 to be used.

Thanks for sharing that. As suspected, for normal day to day driving there's no reason not to use 0w-20 really.
5L bottle and filter now ordered...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links