Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Condensation is bad..............

Tigerplank

Hi, I have a Yaris 1.8sr and had it from new.

It's a 08 model and had no problems with condensation until this winter.I know they say around 7-8 years a car starts to have condensation problems, but can this be sorted, so it's like new again?

I actually have to use a credit card to scrape the front windscreen from the inside due to ice. 

I've not heard that older cars should have more problems with condensation than newer. If you get condensation, it means you have high humidity in the air in the car and that humidity must be coming from somewhere. 

1. Make sure the ventilation works as it should - that it is actually drawing air from the outside and that air can get out properly at the rear of the car (not sure where the outlet flaps sit on the Yaris but they would normally be near the rear of a wheel arch).

2. Check that you don't have any water standing in the car. Check the floor, lift any mats and check if they are damp. If they are, then you need to start trying to trace where the water might come from. This can be quite tricky. Is there a leak, or have you simply got in and out of the car many times, with wet shoes and only done short trips so the car has not had a chance to dry out properly? 

3. Does the condensation go away easily once the engine is warm? You just want to make sure it's not a leak in the heater matrix. Check coolant fluid level. Although, I'd say this is really quite rare on modern cars. But still worth double-checking.

These are just generic troubleshooting tips. Someone with more experience of the Yaris might be able to be more precise.

• Like 1

As well as the above, one could try a dehumidifer bag - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_1_15_hso_sc_smartcategory_4?rh=n%3A1383549031%2Ck%3Adehumidifier+bags&keywords=dehumidifier+bags&ie=UTF8&qid=1511975147&sr=8-15-acs

When parked overnight, before exiting put the air flow control  from fresh air to recirc.

• Like 1

Great advice guys thanks.

Will check the carpets in the car in the morning when it's light. The windows clear up within minutes of me starting the engine,but so much ice inside on the windscreen makes me feel it's a leek under a carpet.

I've bought 2 of those dehumidifier bags to see if that helps. Thanks guys.

Could also have a look at 

• Like 1

I hoard those little bags of silica gel they always stick in boxes with electronics (phones, TVs etc.) and just have them under the passenger seat in a string bag; Have never had a problem with internal condensation since I put that in there!

Another trick is to leave a bowl of rice or coffee in the car overnight - They also absorb moisture in the air and can reduce or stop condensation; Just remember to remove it before you drive off or you'll be spending time in there later with a vacuum!

These are basically cheaper alternatives to buying those dehumidifying bags (Which are basically my free silica gel packets in a bag and sold for money!)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links