Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

vandalised

hoskins66

3 weeks ago I bought  an Avensis 2L 2004 petrol t spirit in immaculate condition 90000 miles. 10 days ago some one threw a brick through the rear window when parked up in the middle of the night and there is no repacement glass anywhere,  Insurance co. will not pay for 2nd hand parts so looks like 1500 pound car is written off. I will probably take a big hit and may want to buy the car back and put a used tailgate on,. 

Any info on pros and cons of buying a car back and whatever category insurance it becomes would be most helpful. Also any problems with compatibiliy of tailgates (its a mk2 hatchback) and any problems changing it, e.eg. wiper and central locking would help immensely, .

Thanks

Edited by hoskins66
bad spelling

It's been a while since I owned ex write-offs, but it sounds like yours would be a Cat D.  No real problems owning one, but it's worth a bit less than a 'genuine' car.  Mine were newer than yours but as a general rule they were worth about the same as a one year older genuine car. Dealers normally won't take them as trade ins.  You should be able to buy it back for very little money, like maybe £300, since it saves the insurance company a whack of money not putting it through their system and ultimately getting washers for it anyway.

I don't foresee any problems swapping a tailgate over, but the facelift (06 on) model might have different connectors for the electrics etc. And it might be tricky finding one the same colour (and with the same amount if sun fade).  Either stick to a pre-facelift replacement or be prepared to swap some internals over if needed.  Alternatively source a window (or take one out a donor tailgate) and have it fitted yourself.

there is a new category system for write-offs - think that this would be an N: Non-structurally damaged repairable.  http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/90106/uk-car-write-off-categories-explained-from-cat-c-and-cat-d-to-cat-s-and

Also - 

Thanks folks. Just waiting to hear from insurance what they will offer us and how much they would sell us the car back. Just recieved a pack asking for all sorts of info and also the log book which seems strange as it is not there car yet. I can see this being a longwinded episode.Also the car has went to coparts about 50miles away, so a long trip to get it)and may not be undercover or even a tarpaulin which would have ruined the interior by now.

Thanks againg for the advice and info, any more still appreciated.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links