Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Insurance

paulie b

The only thing which truly surprised me after buying my Aygo was just how much the insurance quote I received was. AA well over £600 for a 12 plate fire! I managed to get the insurance for £360, which I feel is still high. I am a driver of almost 40 years experience and have never had a claim or endorsements.

I was wondering how much others here pay? Also who, in their experience, usually gives the best (cheapest) deals? I'll have to wait until November before I renew, but any info may help others to save money.

Mine went from £600 to £250 when I moved from Birmingham to Stourbridge. The car itself is driven by the (now) wife and was at her mom's house for a year before we bought a house.

The house we're in now is about a 5 minute drive from her mom's (not my choice!), and when I rang the insurance at the time (John Lewis) it went up by £10 a month. Compared this to the hateful 3008 that had it's insurance cut in half after moving I found it hard to believe.

Aviva, in her case, then offered her cover for £270 for the year. She doesn't drive it much, think it's down for 5,000 miles a year. Her renewal quote with Aviva was then £250. It's the first time I've ever known an insurer to give a cheaper premium in the second year!

This all depends on your area more than anything. However, I do recall my father's insurance seemed to go up and up the older he got. His last quote was about £700 on a Honda CR-V he had, when before he was only ever paying £200/£300 for insurance. He was 72 at the time. I only mention this as you have said how many years you've been driving.

Insurance companies have particular client groups (including age and occupations) and postcodes they target. If one is outside the target group(s), quotes are often loaded to discourage people from insuring with them. 

Although you say you have 40 years experience, you don't say whether you have any no claims discount to offset against an insurance premium.

Using comparison websites is one way one can reduce quotes, but be aware that most of these aren't impartial (some are owned by insurers for example), and only include a number of insurers - so the cross section of insurers offering a quote can be limited.

One could also get a quote from Toyota Owners Club insurance - 

Also be aware that going for the cheapest quote doesn't always provide one with the best insurance - things like customer service, claims process, Defaqto reviews, etc are items to consider. See https://www.defaqto.com

Being a Which? member, I use Which? recommended insurers - Which? recommendations take into account what the policies cover, customer service, claims process and member ratings.

Our insurance is £340 - living in Birmingham, both of us as named drivers, class 1 business use for both of us, guaranteed courtesy car, increased personal injury cover, full NCD, guaranteed NCD protection, and a low excess (£50).

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details a few weeks before your renewal I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.

Regards,

Dan.

@Frostyballs, I thought I did mention I had never made a claim. I have full no claims, am 55, retired. Drive far less than 3000 a year. when I say 'close to' 40 years, I passed my test in 1980. Not one single claim or endorsement upon my license in all that time and I live in a 'safe (for insurance purposes) area. It seems that counts for little if you are loyal to your insurers.

@Dan. Thanks. I may just do that. I have another ten months to run on this policy though. 

28 minutes ago, paulie b said:

@Frostyballs, I thought I did mention I had never made a claim. I have full no claims, am 55, retired. Drive far less than 3000 a year. when I say 'close to' 40 years, I passed my test in 1980. Not one single claim or endorsement upon my license in all that time and I live in a 'safe (for insurance purposes) area.

The fact you haven't made a claim doesn't necessarily mean you have any NCD in your own right. For example, if you had driven as a named driver on someone else's insurance or driven company vehicles, that wouldn't necessarily provide any NCD for you.

In the insurance world, whether that is car or house insurance, the fact one may have been with an insurer for a number of years doesn't mean anything. Loyalty unfortunately is an outdated concept.

From April 2017, legislation came into force that requires insurers to highlight the previous year's insurance premium in renewal documentation, and to highlight that, where customers have been with an insurer for a number of years, they may find cheaper insurance elsewhere.

Had I been named on someone else's policy then I would indeed have no NCB of my own. Just to clarify then Full NCB - thirty eight years - all as a policy holder. No company cars, no named driver.

Oh, BTW, my loyalty to the AA has run its course. From now on every insurance policy I take out (car/home) will have been subjected to rigorous competition.  I still think £600 plus and £360 is dear. I am the only person who drives the car It's my fault for not shopping round this time, but it's a mistake which will not be repeated. 

No one has said your renewals aren't expensive.

Certainly compared to mine  which is cheaper, is for a second city postcode, is for two named drivers, includes business use for both drivers, has a low excess and extras, it is expensive.

Being a named driver for many years, l hadnt got any NCD , so was thinking l would have to pay the earth for an insurance— fully com. Finally found Hastings Direct, total costs £230, so delighted.  So maybe worth contacting them for a quote?? 

I've only had my 2006 Aygo since October 2016 and I've only had my license since September 2015. I'm 21 and I have one years NCD. I live in a more rural area, dont know if its considered 'safe' or not but I feel safe here. My first year of driving I paid £1,017 for insurance with Admiral which was domestic plus commuting (only paid £1,000 for the car, I felt ripped off majorly but couldn't get a cheaper quote).

On renewal in November I managed to convince admiral to drop my renewal down from £852 to £780 because I got a quote from Hastings for £788.

An odd thing which I noticed with my renewal was that in my first year I didn't have a job so my primary occupation was student. However, now I have a job as well so I had to update the insurance to reflect that. I initially forgot to do this and was quoted £692 for the insurance so I was really happy about that! Then when I went back to update my occupation to include my job the price went up to £852. Who knew employment could be such a burden!

For insurers different occupations, ages, postcodes, etc can pose decreased or increased risks, which is based on historical claims information they hold. So for example two people the same age and occupation in different postcodes, can have quite different premiums, 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links