Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Hissing on Neutral

rock8

So last night, two days after examining one spark plug and putting it back in, I noticed a hissing sound from the front of the car. This hissing goes away completely when I press the clutch pedal in. What is it? Could it be connected to me opening the spark plug and putting it back in? I read somewhere about a common clutch bearing problem but I thought that it might be connected to me removing the spark plug, since I didn't notice it before. Car only done 50,000km.

Thanks!

Check where you were leaning/touching.  There's a fair chance you've disturbed a pipe somewhere.

3 hours ago, alan333 said:

Check where you were leaning/touching.  There's a fair chance you've disturbed a pipe somewhere.

Thanks, will do! So no connection to the spark plugs?

So last night, two days after examining one spark plug and putting it back in, I noticed a hissing sound from the front of the car. This hissing goes away completely when I press the clutch pedal in. What is it? Could it be connected to me opening the spark plug and putting it back in? I read somewhere about a common clutch bearing problem but I thought that it might be connected to me removing the spark plug, since I didn't notice it before. 

P.S the car has only done 50,000km.

Thanks so much,

Samuel

Is it more of an air hissing or a thing-rubbing hissing?

If it's an air hissing, may be the spark plug isn't fully seated? Like if there's a bit of dirt or something leaving a gap.

If it's a thing-rubbing hissing, could be a serpentine belt (AUX or PS?)

Topics merged and moved to the Aygo club.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Is it more of an air hissing or a thing-rubbing hissing?

If it's an air hissing, may be the spark plug isn't fully seated? Like if there's a bit of dirt or something leaving a gap.

If it's a thing-rubbing hissing, could be a serpentine belt (AUX or PS?)

Thanks, but if it was a spark plug problem, wouldn't it be noisy also when the clutch is pressed?

• 4 weeks later...

When starting the car on neutral (pedal not pressed) there is no noise, but if I put it into gear, and then back to neutral the noise is heard. Nothing crunchy - just a hissing sound. Usually, after driving a bit the noise goes away. The car has done less than 30000 miles.
My issue looks and sounds identical to the one in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64O6aZjZ524
It looks like an easy fix. Do we have access to the clutch fork on our cars or would a mechanic need to disassemble the whole transmission on order to access it?

P.S I used to pressure wash my car, could it be the reason for this noise? Maybe I removed some grease by mistake, or is it completely unrelated?

Thanks!

Topics merged.

This is the third new topic you've started on the same subject - which is pointless. If you have something new to add, please add to the existing topic.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links