Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Flush...the Truth?

//TRDsportz

OK can any1 tell me if there is ANY point in usin all those fancy engine flush thingys? I was told that they are pretty much non effective and can even have adverse effects on the oil performance. It was brought up by the mechanic during a routine oil service. He said that because I always change oil every 3k there was no need for any flushing as the cars clean due to the regular oil changes.. He said the flush gunk is only good for ******s who change every 10k etc. Is this true?

Based on the fact that most people only change their oil every 10k I would suspect you will get little response to that unless you loose your obvious attitude problem :D

Flushes are good and bad.

I used to have an old Honda and I never looked after it very well... it ended up with a clogged oil pipe and i nealry damaged the engine becasue no oil was getting to the important parts of the engine.

We decided to get some engine flush ... after 10 mins running the car with the flush and then draining the old engine oil the car was fine afterwards.

But i have heard bad things from it too... leaky seals afterwards and the case of running the car on bear metal for a few secs can do alot of damage.

i have used it before on other cars and all has been fine. If you keep up on your oil changes then i think the flush is not needed.

He said the flush gunk is only good for ******s who change every 10k

Steve the 'He said' in the sentence means its HIS words (the mechanics). The fact that he put it to me like that was why I am asking the question in the first place. I myself would never dream of accusing people of being ******s..well maybe the odd saxo boy with a capped bonce :D

I spoken to a numerous of dealers about this, and they have all said that Engine flush is a good thing. Think it would be best to use it, it wont harm the engine ....

I've only used engine flush once... Bought my Corolla second hand from a dealer - who shall remain nameless! They said they'd serviced the car before I collected it, and the engine oil was a nice golden colour. But the oil changed to black within a few hundred miles. I changed the oil, and it changed black again within a few hundred miles. (I THINK that the service book had been stamped, but the previous services had not been carried out.) Anyway, I used Wynns engine flush. Changed the oil again, and the engine remained a nice golden colour for 3000+ miles. Conclusion: The engine flush cleaned the engine. Would have thought it was a waste of time and money if you change the oil on a regular basis though.

I always use engine flush but i turn the car over with the coil disconnected so the oil pressure builds up before i run it up. Thanks to my old man for that

:rolleyes:

if the avatars too big or not allowed tell me and i'll change it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links