Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Gauge Question And A Few Others.......

paulie b

I wonder if anyone could tell me what each bar of the Aygos fuel gauge equates to. A Gallon? More? Less? I don't know the tank capacity so can't work it out. I've just done about 76 miles and lost the first bar. Not brill at maths so a calculation as to what the car is returning would be a bonus!

Also, does the Aygo fire 2012 model have ABS and/or EBS/D?

I've just noticed that the nearside door (three door model) courtesy light isn't coming on. Sounds daft I know, but I just want to make sure it's not switchable on/off somewhere before I have it looked at. 

The bar type fuel gauge, in common with some other Toyotas (ie IQ, Auris) probably operates in a non-linear way. The top bars are slow to extinguish and the bottom bars extinguish more quickly.

Fuel tank capacity is 35 litres. The low fuel light will flash when there are approx 5.25 litres left in the tank, and will flash quickly when there are about 3.5 litres left.

On the interior light there are three positions - 1) light on (symbol like a light on), 2) off (symbol just a circle), and 3) light operated by the doors opening/closing (symbol car with doors open). If the light doesn't come on when the switch is on 3) and the door is open, check the door switch isn't sticking (usually on the central pillar by the door latch).

The fuel gauge is non linear, so difficult to judge MPG just going by the bars. I get about the same mileage on the first bar as yourself. 

Best way to work out MPG is to brim the tank, reset the trip counter, then drive until you get to the last (flashing) bar on the gauge. Then divide the miles figure by 7.7 to get the MPG.

Don't drive for too long with the last bar flashing, refill as soon as possible, as there's only a few litres left in the tank at this stage!

44 minutes ago, paulie b said:

I wonder if anyone could tell me what each bar of the Aygos fuel gauge equates to. A Gallon? More? Less? I don't know the tank capacity so can't work it out. I've just done about 76 miles and lost the first bar.

I've just noticed that the nearside door (three door model) courtesy light isn't coming on. Sounds daft I know, but I just want to make sure it's not switchable on/off somewhere before I have it looked at. 

In my experience of recent cars the fuel gauge segments equate to different amounts depending on how full the tank is, ie the first few segments go down slowly but the last few go quickly.  Best to fill the tank to the brim, reset the mileometer, then use most of the fuel, then fill to the brim again.  Take note of how many miles you covered and how many litres it took to fill up, post back in due course and I'll calculate it for you (I'm sure others on here will be more than happy to help too).

There isn't usually a switch to courtesy lights on individual doors.  Look at the door jamb for a push switch, it's possibly a bit seized and simply pressing it in/out a few times might cure it.

48 minutes ago, paulie b said:

Also, does the Aygo fire 2012 model have ABS and/or EBS/D? - Yes it has ABS & EBD

I've just noticed that the nearside door (three door model) courtesy light isn't coming on. Sounds daft I know, but I just want to make sure it's not switchable on/off somewhere before I have it looked at. - Not a fault, the MK1 Aygo only had a switch in the drivers door to operate the interior light, can be easily retro fitted on the front passenger door as the mounting holes are there for a LHD car just buy the switch run a length of wire over to the RH switch harness and connect and fit the new switch.

Hi Paul,

I'll do the easy bit first, if you don't mind :wink:  ....There is no courtesy light switch on the nearside door, the light only works with the driver's door....I know, I know,  it annoys a lot of Folk, some live with it and a few take a tee off the drivers side and wire in a switch on the passenger door.  The hole is already on the nearside door pillar, covered with a bit of tape and if you're good with wiring, it's an easy job.

As far as I know the Aygo has ABS.....There is an ABS warning light in the speedo binnacle (I was going to call it the dashboard but thought better of it!!!)

Now then the Fuel Bars...... Firstly, if you have only seen 76 miles from the first bar, then my guess is that you have been sitting in the car with the engine running to warm it up these last few cold mornings.  I don't blame you for that as I've done that myself.  In my experience with my Aygo Fire I usually get about 120 miles on the first bar, about 100 miles on the second bar, 80 miles on the third and so on down to the "Reserve" (One bar with a warning "ding") at about 450 miles. (The tank holds 35 litres)

What I normally do is ignore the fuel gauge, reset the trip meter to zero when I fill up and run it on that until I get to about 250-300 miles and fill up again.  If you want to work out what you are doing for MPG...Fill up to the brim  and check your trip meter....Check your petrol receipt and type into google the amount of litres,  using the search  (For example)   "25 litres Gallons" the first result will be 5.49923 Imperial gallons.  (Obviously, use whatever amount of litres you have on the slip and Google works it out for you).

Now just divide the trip mileage  by the amount of gallons and you should get a figure of about 50.

I hope that helps! :smile:

450 miles to the tank. You must have feather toes Neil lol.

• Haha 1

Hi David,

Nobody has ever said that my size 11's have "Feather Toes" before, so you're on my Christmas Card list now!!! :wink:

I should have said that on a good run 450 mile is easily do-able on a tank...Lancashire to Fife, Cromer and Swindon all returned over 60 MPG and even around town, in normal (Not the recent sub-zero conditions) day to day driving, I get about 52-54 mpg.

Great little cars, aren't they?

All the best, Buddy! :smile:

Thanks for the replies. 

Neil, thanks for the info on the door light. As I always travel in the car alone so it makes no odds, it seems strange that Toyota/Citroen/Peugeot have omitted it though!

Re the fuel situation. No I just start up and drive off. I didn't brim the tank though. It was showing full. Probably a false reading, but that said the last time I filled it the bars went from full to almost half in one go! When I got the thing the gauge was showing half but it took £40 to fill up!

In the short space of time I've owned my Aygo I've learned not to set too much store on the fuel gauge. Mine seems vague at the best of times! I do reset the trip meter each time I fill.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links