Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

American Corolla

TOYMOTA

I was looking on an American car parts website for some bits for my Gti and didn't know what years the American version was sold over there.

Does anyone know what the years were?

Ask RedAE92. He would know.

No such member mate. Just tried to PM em but came back saying doesn't exist.

The americans didnt get a ae92 hatch (gti) they got a fx16 i think, but it was a saloon....

Cheers, :thumbsup:

Did the fx16 have the 4A-GE in it?

If so, all engine mods for that will go on the AE92?

Sup man.. what do you mean by saloon? sedan 4dr? The ae92 GTS/SR5 basically ran from 88-92 and were 2dr coupes. The US also did not get the hatch you lucky *****s got :thumbsup: .

The FX16 was basically a ae82, produced in 87-88. Came out only in 2 years and then was toast. It got the 4a-ge as well not too sure if it was a redtop or bluetop.

Sup man.. what do you mean by saloon? sedan 4dr? The ae92 GTS/SR5 basically ran from 88-92 and were 2dr coupes. The US also did not get the hatch you lucky *****s got :thumbsup: .

The FX16 was basically a ae82, produced in 87-88. Came out only in 2 years and then was toast. It got the 4a-ge as well not too sure if it was a redtop or bluetop.

Yeh, Sedan 4dr I guess!

So if i'm looking for 4A-GE parts, I need to be looking at Corolla's from 88-92 in the US!?

Would you possibly mean RedAE102?

AE92s were sold here from '88-'92 as saloons, '88-'91 as coupés. Saloon models only came with the 4A-F with carbie or 4A-FE, in standard, DX, and LE designations, plus the 4WD AE95 DX and LE All-Trac, plus the All-Trac wagon (I believe you guys got the latter, seemed to have more sheetmetal in common with your liftback). In coupés, there was the SR-5 and the GT-S. The SR-5 came with the 4A-F or 4A-FE, depending upon the year, and the GT-S got the 4A-GE. GT-S is nearly identical to the UK GTi-16.

Here's where the story gets interesting...

First of all, there were no Corolla saloons sold in the US with the 4A-GE...

in '89-'92, you could buy a Geo Prizm GSi saloon or liftback (the same as your liftback), which came standard with the 4A-GE, along with rear disc brakes and other related items. From the E8 through E10 generation, General Motors sold what was essentially a rebadged Japan-market Toyota Sprinter. (E11 generation aside, as it shared sheetmetal with the US-only version of the E11). The E8 cars were called Chevrolet Novas, with the 4A-GE equipped version being called the Nova Twin Cam. There was no 4A-GE for the E10 generation Geo Prizm, which was available with the same 4A-FE and 7A-FE as the US E10 Corolla.

Sorry Red, I thought it was a AE92. :lol:

So certain Prizms got the 4A-GE.... I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at Pick-N-Pull. What years of Novas and Prizms got what versions of the 4A-GE? Were they all 16v? or were there some Blacktops in there too?

:arrgg-matey:

Sorry Red, I thought it was a AE92.  :lol:

So certain Prizms got the 4A-GE.... I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at Pick-N-Pull. What years of Novas and Prizms got what versions of the 4A-GE? Were they all 16v? or were there some Blacktops in there too?

:arrgg-matey:

:hokus-pokus:

I turn you into a frog for that.... or not... anyway....

Most definitely no 20-valvers in the US (anyone who may have swapped one in, hush)... much too new for the E9 (6th) generation Corolla. But, like I said before (At least, I *think* I did! :)), the Nova Twin Cam and Prizm GSi were EXTREMELY rare creatures in their day. I have seen but one example of each, including a GSi saloon and liftback, and that's it. I get the feeling that these cars' owners will part with the keys just a soon as you pry them from their cold, dead hands.

I'll :!Removed!: now. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links