Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Internet Help!

JT

Recently, i keep getting all these popups saying my computer is infected with spyware, or adware, and to click on them to get a free scan. when ive tried this, that is all you get - it scans the comp, finds a load of supposed files or whatever they are, and then says you have to pay about £20 to subscribe before it will delete them. also, it has changed my homepage from ntl to about:blank, and will not let me change it back. as soon as i close the control panel, it just goes back to setting itself on about:blank.

what has happened and how do i sort it, as that subscription thing sounds like a scam. or am i being a bit thick, and too suspicious??

I've just got myself Webroot's Spy Sweeper. Protects your home page and runs in the background to stop spyware from loading. It removed something that Spybot had not been able to.

Netcaptor is a good browser to stop pop ups, but I second rhaines and kenny, I use both Spybot and Adaware to get rid of spyware, brilliant programs

cheers ppl! :thumbsup:

just tried that spybot one - didnt work :crybaby:

Edited by JT

ok, ive just sat thru ehat seems like hours of system scans from both the adaware and spybot programmes, but neither have been able to solve the problem.

i click on explorer, and it takes me to this crap search homepage, with a web address of about:blank, with a popup saying there's spyware on my computer (still!!). i then go into internet options, and change the homepage to ntl. this works, until i close explorer, and re-open it, when it just goes back to the previous setting.

any ideas??.. :help:

ok, ive tried the hijack thing. i found the entry which changes the homepage, and deleted it. however, as soon as i exit explorer and start it up again, the problem persists, so ive searched for it again on the hijack thing, and it is there once more! it seems to make anther copy of itself, each time it is deleted

just a thought

have a look in your control panel under add/remove programs and look for any rogue programs that may have installed themselves onto the computer

if you do find one its more than likely that the 'remove' function wont work. so find it on the hardrive which will surely have a link to the homesite in which you should be able to download an uninstaller

i has a pile of crap called iSearch do it on mine, it kept changing my home page to their rubbish home site, it defaulted iteself as my search engine and happily loaded its own humongous and totally useless tool bar up on the screen that couldnt be switched off, and if you did it just comes back on again!

but anyway....

i searched it out on the drive and there was a trace back to the 'technical' site where i found the uninstaller and luckily wiped it off for good and ive never seen it again! also recieved an email 'supposidly' from the director of it telling me how much of a loss ive just this that and the other blah blah blah.........reply.........stream of abuse..........SEND.............delete..............block!

job done

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links