Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Checking......

paulie b

Hi,

After checking the levels on my 12 plate Aygo Fire, I notice that the engine oil needs topping up. Am I correct in saying the oil required is 5w 30? I'll hold off buying any until I get some feedback. Ta.

Hi Paul, give this guy a call, real name John Devlin but has the nickname Kingo, he's a Toyota parts person. 01978 720074, you are welcome to say I gave you his details, Mike.

Hi Paul,

Yes indeed it is,  5W 30 oil for our Aygos.

I got mine from eBay on the "Opie Oil" shop:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobil-1-ESP-Formula-5W-30-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5W30-Mobil1-1-Litres-1L/161133099460?hash=item258447f9c4:g:k-wAAOSw7FRWUs-I

I know that they are a sponsor of this site, but even if they weren't, I would recommend them. They send stuff out so quickly, it's not worth the bother of going out to the shops and their prices are great.

Talking of checking oil levels, that's the one thing that I always have bother with on my Aygo as I can never see the oil level properly, on the dipstick.  It does seem to be a case of leave the car on level ground for a couple of hours and do a single "Dip" to check.....preferably in just the right light, at just the right angle.

Then again, it could just be me, needing a trip to "Specsavers". :cool:

All the best. :smile:

Taken from the 2012 Aygo owners manual - 

"SAE 0W−20 is filled into your Toyota vehicle at manufacturing, and the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

If SAE 0W−20 oil is not available, SAE 5W−30 oil may be used. However, it should be replaced with SAE 0W−20 at the next oil change."

Thanks for the replies. I needed some immediately as the dipstick was showing minimum. I got a litre of 5w 30 (before I saw FBs post) for £5.99 from B&M. The oil will be changed when the car is serviced in a few months time.

Just another question. On average, how much oil does the Aygo use? Some reports I've read suggests that it can burn up to a litre in only a few hundred miles? I wonder how frequently members top up their oil levels and by how much?  

In between 12 month dealer services, where they fill exactly to the max level, mine shows 3 quarter full on the dipstick after 12 months. I feel it's not necessary to top up between services. I drive an average of 5k miles per annum.

• Like 1

Whilst I defer to Mike ( @FROSTYBALLS ) as his extract from my Owners Manual is both exact and correct, my Aygo has had 5W-30 oil put in by my Toyota main dealer and since then, by my local independent Garage...on every service....wallopped into my Aygo.

Every, and I do mean EVERY (Sorry for shouting) website....Including https://www.opieoils.co.uk/  and https://citybugstore.co.uk/index.php  amongst others,  recommends 5W-30 Oil for our Aygos.

Maybe it helps when our Cars get a few miles on them...I'm not an expert but it has always worked for me, so I'm sticking with what my local, and very trusted, local Garage recommends and what has been faultless for me over 41000 miles......err...Touch Wood!! :huh: and that is 5W-30.

As for the rest, well, I'm with David ( @fordulike ) in that his experiences match mine to perfection, although my services are done independantly.

I hope that helps...In some strange way. ...Anyway, all the best. :smile:

P.S. @FROSTYBALLS ...Mike,  can we tag this as "Oil", so that Opie or Kingo can see it and give us a proper answer for many of us, please.....Many thanks in advance! :smile:

There has been a topic on oil pinned into the individual clubs and then in the 'how to guides' for quite a long time - 

Under Block Exemption Toyota cannot insist that dealers use a particular oil, and some dealers do use 5W-30.

Irrespective of whether third party websites, including Opie, cite 5W-30 as being suitable, and some garages use 5W-30 for the Aygo and other petrol Toyotas, the fact remains that Toyota use 0W-20 as the factory fill for their later petrol models (those that are Optimal Drive), and that 0W-20 is the preferred oil.

The same was the case with my 2009 and 2012 Auris - I've had the use of OW-20 built into my service plans since 2009.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for that, Mike....That tutorial had completely passed me by and is a good read.  To be honest, I was somewhere between,  "A bit worried" and "having kittens" that I had been using the wrong oil in my Aygo for the past five and a half years!!!

Thanks again and all the best. :smile:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links