Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Aygo up hill

Espe

Hello Guys,

I am a new driver of an Aygo and also an inexperienced driver in the mountains. Last month I tried to drive up hill in Germany but I could drive faster dan 50 km/h. So I gave up, but driving down hill the car worked perfectly and speeding as usual. Is that normal?

Thank you for your commets.

Espe

The engine in the Aygo doesn't have a lot of torque, so you will need to drive in a lower gear when going up steep hills.

Moved to the Aygo club.

Just to add Espe, do not be afraid to rev the engine high, above 4k rpm will not harm this engine. 

Hi,

I confirm, it is normal. Gears are long, which is not pleasant on mountain roads.

When I am driving uphill, I am often stuck between the 2nd and 3rd gears. I have to choose between being at very high revs in 2nd gear, which is noisy, or at very low revs -almost stalling- in 3rd gear. When I am carrying passengers or luggage, getting into 3rd gear is almost impossible. To shift into 3rd gear in the mountains, you have to be at high revs in 2nd gear and keep your revs, i.e. shift gear very quickly!

And when I am driving downhill, gears are so long that I have to keep braking. There is almost no engine brake. The Aygo is going down like crazy, lol!

You have to get used to it.

There's one hill where I live which quickly exposes the Aygos gearing. Foot down in second gear the car screams up it, but any attempt to change up sees the car virtually die (driver only and no other payload). The speed dramatically and immediately tails off and the engine struggles, I used to have to drop back down to second. I just go up in second now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links