Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Wayward Fuel Gauge

paulie b

I wonder if the fuel gauge on anyone elses  Aygo is as inaccurate as mine?

I have a 12 plate fire. It is currently showing 159.9 miles on the odeometer, but has only dropped one bar on the fuel gauge. This is mostly urban driving, almost all short distance. 

For my own reference, after that mileage,  what would you expect your fuel gauge to be indicating (how many bars would you have dropped) if you were doing the same sort of journeys?

When I got the car last November, the gauge was indicating half full. I put £20 in it thinking it would fill the tank. I ran it for only a matter of ten miles or so (with the gauge now indicating full) and thought I would top it back up. I only had £20 on me and it took all that without brimming! 

The fuel gauge in the Aygo and some other Toyota models (eg. Auris, IQ, etc) is a bar type gauge, and operates in a non-linear way.

My previous two Auris were the same. See the following guide as an example:

It is something most owners get used to - it isn't a fault with any one car.

I drop one bar at around 80 miles and get 3-350 miles per tankful. This is with shortish journeys and spirited driving.

On my car first one goes about 120-130miles second about 215-225miles 

I'm no good at maths so I'd be very grateful could someone please do me a favour and convert the following?:

I travelled 170 miles

I put £20 petrol into the tank (to the pump handle click)

I think the petrol price per litre is about £1.25 (should have checked I know!)

How many gallons have I put in and what is my MPG? 

Also, am I correct in saying the Aygos fuel tank is seven gallons?

The Fuel gauge has still only lost one bar! This is the worst gauge I've ever had on any car I've owned! Completely unfit for purpose. On a car like this I would not expect to be forced to rely on the odometer ! 

Any calculation will only be approximate as you're not sure of the price - but from the information given it works out to 48.3mpg.

Hi Paul,

I got back yesterday from a week in Wales, just before I set off for home I filled up whilst my fuel gauge read "Half Full"....After 340 miles!!!   Bonkers, I know!

Anyway if you use "Google" just type in the amount of litres you have filled up with and follow that with "gallons".

In your case that would be (£20.00 divided by £1.25) 16 litres, so type into the Google search bar.... 16 litres gallons and the first result you will get will be the conversion which is 3.51951 Gallons.

Then just divide your miles (170) by  that conversion figure of 3.52 (Close enough) and you will get 48.2954545455.

So you have got 48.3 miles to the gallon.

The Aygo has a 39 (I think) litre fuel tank, so using google again (39 litres gallons) that converts to 8.5788.  Therefore you can say that our Aygos have an 8.5 gallon tank.

When I did the conversion for my trip, I got an overall figure of 59.4 mpg, but that was on a run in very nice weather.

Anyway, I hope that helps in some way, all the best. :smile:

P.S.  Like you, I never trust the gauge, I always zero the odometer at every fill up and run it on that until I get to somewhere between 250-350 miles and fill up again.

Thanks for the responses.

I've been past the garage and can confirm the price is £126.9 per litre

Could you please re-calculate using this new figure?

Neil - thanks for the dummies guide to but my brain is not wired to compute figures! It may as well be Chinese!

49.04mpg

Rather than calculating manually like I do, one can use one of the fuel calculators available on the internet -

eg. http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.html

http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk

Just make sure it isn't an American calculator as their gallons are smaller than the UK's.

Thanks. Seeing as my driving is predominantly urban and not long enough to warm the engine, I'm very happy with that figure. When I go off on holiday (driving 'sensibly') with only myself and some luggage aboard I guess I can expect around the 60 mark?

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone.

Just wondering if someone could do me a favour and convert the following figures into MPG? Thanks in advance.

I brimmed the tank

I travelled 146.8 miles

then re-brimmed the tank

I put in £10.35 of petrol at £1.29.9 per litre

£10.35 of petrol @ £129.9 per litre equates to 7.967 litres or 1.75 Imperial gallons. Distance traveled 146.8 miles divided by 1.75 = 83.88 miles per gallon.

38 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

£10.35 of petrol @ £129.9 per litre equates to 7.967 litres or 1.75 Imperial gallons. Distance traveled 146.8 miles divided by 1.75 = 83.88 miles per gallon.

WOW! I'm astounded! Is this figure what one could reasonably expect from a 12 plate Aygo fire? I didn't think I was driving with economy in mind but, apart from a section of motorway when I was doing 70 to 80, I was travelling on B roads at between 50/60mph. I set off from home to go on holiday at 0420 hours which meant I more or less had the roads to myself and wasn't stuck behind slow moving traffic etc. I'm wondering if this had a positive effect upon the fuel usage?

52 minutes ago, paulie b said:

WOW! I'm astounded! Is this figure what one could reasonably expect from a 12 plate Aygo fire?

Not a chance lol 😝

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links