Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Camry Stalls

lsdean

We have a 1994 Toyota Camry 4 Cylinder. The car will occasionally stall if I come to a stop. Sometimes the engine will start back up immediately, but there have been a couple of situations were it may take 5-10 minutes to start back up. The ignition system seems to be firing but it seems like the fuel is not getting through and sometimes you can smell fuel.

There has also been a couple of circumstance were the engine will idle around 1500 to 1800 RPM while in Park. (It happened this evening and I put the car into reverse and it stalled)

We have had the computer scanned, no codes showed up. I originally took the car to Pepboys and they said that they could replicate the problem but could not be 100% sure of what the problem was.

I took it to my Toyota dealership today. They test drove it but could not find any problems. (They said that they could not replicate the problem) They said the fuel pressure was fine. They thought it might be a possible EGR problem.

I went to pick-up the car (unfortunately at closing time). The car stalled coming out of the parking lot. It restarted immediately. 5 minutes later in stalled again at a traffic light. It would not restart for 5 mintues.

To get home I had to apply pressure to the gas pedal so that it is idling around 1000 to 1250 RPMs when I am stopped at a light. Even doing this, the engine seems to hiccup and seems like it is going to stall.

Any ideas? I saw that several people have had similar problems. Could it be an ignition coil problem?

I am taking it back to the dealership tomorrow. I am having a hard time believing that it did not stall on them considering it died on me in less than a minute after I got in the car.

Thanks for any help.

I have the same problem with my 96 Camry and have not been able to find a solution.

There are two threads on the next page of threads on this topic. See "Engine Dies" and "Camry Stalling". Incidentally, they are far and away the most viewed topics.

I had a similar issue with a Carina II which after alot of messing about turned out to be oxidised contacts on the EFI fuse & relay (in the fusebox next to the battery), a quick clean up with some wet & dry paper & WD-40 & job done. Worth a try.

This problem is a real pain. I drove the car around last night and it stallled within a minute. I drove for another 45 minutes without another stall. Drove 15 minutes in the morning and then the drive to work without a stall. Leaving work it stalled once and later in the evening it tried to stall in the beginning of the trip.

If I watch the RPMs carefully while I am idling, I can sometimes catch it before it stalls out. The RPMs usually are dropping back and forth from the normal 750 and 500-600 range.

Still can't figure out if anything sets it off. It seems that we I start the car it decides if it is going to act normal for that trip. Frustrating. :angry:

I have read those other threads but some other the member did not state if their problem was solved. Hopefully they will see this thread and update us.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links