Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

ManiCat install

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Good Morning

Has anybody carried out a diy on a replacement cat converter on the older shape Aygo? I have a brand new genuine Toyota cat and picked the gaskets for it from my main dealers yesterday, all ready to install, however, is there anything that i should know before i begin the process? And will i need to remove the front bumper?

Cheers All.

Sammy

Anybody???

According to the Haynes manual, yes you do have to remove the bumper.   It does give warnings on taking care with the oxygen sensors and their wiring.

Good luck!

Hi

Began my cat install today.

Jacked up the car to sit on axles. Removed the front bumper. Disconnected bank 1 sensor at top of manifold. Used a spanner to undo sensor since we dont have the correct tool for that job sadly. Removed 2 bolts and 2 nuts securing manifold to engine...1 bracket nut...and finally 2 longs bolts on springs attached to down pipe, finishing off by removing the bank 2 sensor on pipe.

That is as far as i went as i ran out of time due to other comittments. I intend to complete project tomorrow replacing with a genuine toyota cat and gaskets and both bank sensors from Bosch. Ive had to order 2 long bolts and springs as the old ones are beyond rusty sadly.

The one thing im unsure of is whether to use anything at the manifold gasket? The gasket side to engine ive been advised to leave as is but the gasket side to manifold ive been advised to either leave raw or apply copper grease, im confused. I had to scrape off quite a bit off the engine where the manifold attached to, white substance, makes me wonder what was applied there?

I shall update my thread tomorrow.

Cheers all

Hi All

Job done...thank god, picked up my new bolts from Toyota to complete the job, installed the new cat with gaskets, torqued all nuts n bolts in oppositte sequence till tight at manifold, and at tail pipe end, installed new lambda sensors x2, fired her up, quite a bit of smoke at first and then nothing, test drove, alot more throttle response...woo hoo...definitely more nippy.

I now wonder if

a.my fuel economy goes up

b.no more white smoke

Looking at the condition of the old cat, it seemed okayish inside looking through the openings, my teenage son decided to pour a kettle of hot water through it and it flowed n gushed through all 3 chambers fine, and looking at the sensors, no signs of any blockage and light brown in colour, so it does make me wonder which of the 3 things ive replaced ( cat and 2x sensors) was the issue!I shouldve replaced each item individually and tested them prior. Hey ho its done. Upwards n onwards.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My next mission to resolve is what appears to be a dry steer sound coming from the steering column, so annoying, god knows where its from, sounds like it needs a good greasing!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links