Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Sound

Filip Nikolic

Hi everyone, 

I purchased a used 2006 1l Aygo with 170k km on the odometer and have since been worried about an unusual noise coming from the engine bay. I changed the spark plugs, oil and filters (unsure of when it was previously serviced), this hasn't helped. When the car warms up the sound becomes less noticeable. I have done 1k since and it feels ok under acceleration and to drive in general. The audio attached was taken inside the engine bay just after the car was started. 

After a lot of research, many things kept reappearing such as cams, piston bearings, etc. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know as I like the car and want to keep it for a couple of years. 

Thanks!

Aygo Engine.m4a

Aygo rev 2k to 3k.m4a

I can't open the files at the moment, but would advise to try to rev without the clutch engaged, to rule out the gearbox.

So the problematic is the grouchy sound when revving, and not normal sound when idling?

Hi furtula,

I'm not quite sure whether the engine should sound like that. I have a 2006 Prius for a couple of years now and never had a 3 cylinder, therefore I cannot easily tell. 

I just got it and want to make sure it sounds ok.

Thanks!

Don't worry about it, mine sounds similar. It's the characteristic of a 3 pot engine. Lack of sound proofing lets you hear all that lovely noise in the cabin too 😀

Hi fordulike,

Thanks for the reassuring reply, I'm glad I didn't get a lemon (never had withToyota).

Thanks!

The wife had a 56 plate Citroen C1, as you probably know its the same engine. Yours got a few more miles on the clock, 170k km is what, about 110k miles. Sounds a bit tappity, you could possibly get an additive that might help reduce the noise (puts a coating on the cams) but I don't think sounds too bad, and in the first recording when you were blipping the throttle, the throaty roar brings back memories of her C1 - characteristic of the 3 cylinder engine.  Don't worry unduly is my opinion.

Mine sounds the same when the engine is cold and the oil level is around half way between Min and Max. It does quieten down a bit when the oil level is near full. 

Might be worth re-checking the oil level? (its quite difficult to get an accurate reading on our cars)

Just to add on the checking the oil comment. If you want to get an accurate measurement, leave the car on level ground overnight, pull out the dipstick in one stroke and check the level. Do it just the once, as repeated dips and checks tends to affect the accuracy of the reading.

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, the oil level should be at max. I just recorded the sound while accelerating when cold. 

The ticking lessens after a few min. Take a listen (recorded inside the cab):

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1rtW9S3KfVB

Thanks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links