Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question about ignition 12v

gianstevens_

Hello guys,

I have an aftermarket radio and quite a big stereosystem with a lot of extra Battery power and a huge alternator.
Now, I'm extremely annoyed that my radio reboots whenever I switch my key from ignition to start. So when I start my car my radio reboots. I have a Pioneer 80prs.

I'd like my radio to stay on, I know I need to either use a cap (which I don't want to) or find another switched positive which maintains higher than 9volts.
Any of you know where I can find a switched positive that holds more than 9 volts while starting? If I have to check all switched positives I'll be looking for a good day...

2007 aygo

Thanks!

Hi Gian and welcome to the Toyota Owners Club. 🙂

I don't know if I have totally understood your question (Sorry if I am getting this wrong), but if you mean that your stereo loses it's preset stations, just swap the red and yellow wires over.

OK, that's the simple answer but what that means is that the red and yellow are both live but one is the constant and one is the accessory (Only live when the ignition is on).....The Aygo is a bit funny when it comes to after market stereos as they are reversed to the norm but a simple splice or join to cross the red and yellow is a frequent (if not every time) thing to fit any after market unit to your car.....I did exactly the same in mine.

Cut the red wire from the ISO adaptor....Cut the yellow wire from the ISO....join the red to the yellow and the yellow to the red.

Bonkers, I know but that's the way it works.

As I have said, I don't totally understand your situation, so please....Proceed with caution!

In any case, tell us how you get on, "dreckly"

All the best😉

4 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi Gian and welcome to the Toyota Owners Club. 🙂

I don't know if I have totally understood your question (Sorry if I am getting this wrong), but if you mean that your stereo loses it's preset stations, just swap the red and yellow wires over.

OK, that's the simple answer but what that means is that the red and yellow are both live but one is the constant and one is the accessory (Only live when the ignition is on).....The Aygo is a bit funny when it comes to after market stereos as they are reversed to the norm but a simple splice or join to cross the red and yellow is a frequent (if not every time) thing to fit any after market unit to your car.....I did exactly the same in mine.

Cut the red wire from the ISO adaptor....Cut the yellow wire from the ISO....join the red to the yellow and the yellow to the red.

Bonkers, I know but that's the way it works.

As I have said, I don't totally understand your situation, so please....Proceed with caution!

In any case, tell us how you get on, "dreckly"

All the best😉

I never once mentioned the radio losing presets of memory. I have already switched yellow and red and I know one of them is switched power and one of them is constant.

The problem is that the switched power, during the starting of the car, goes under 9 volts, which makes the radio shut down and start again, because obviously the radio shuts down under 9 volts. I'm talking about, if I have the car on contact (so I haven't started the car but I just have it on power so you can listen to radio with the car off, and then start the car).

Therefor, I was wondering if anyone knows a switched power source that doesn't drop below 9 volts. My friend did this in his seicento and his radio stays on during the starting of the car.

hi gian

i would make sure the ignion live and permanent live are the right way round

for you new pioneer head unit as when you go to starter position the acc position

is turned off this gives more power to get your car started (good in winter months) this could

be the reason for your issue. as you will definately have less than 9 volts i.e. 0 volts, if you

have less than 9 volts when cranking you probably have a tired Battery.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, eygo said:

hi gian

i would make sure the ignion live and permanent live are the right way round

for you new pioneer head unit as when you go to starter position the acc position

is turned off this gives more power to get your car started (good in winter months) this could

be the reason for your issue. as you will definately have less than 9 volts i.e. 0 volts, if you

have less than 9 volts when cranking you probably have a tired battery.

Everything you assume in your reply is wrong.

My Battery up front is in perfect shape and my 100ah agm in the back is as well. Also, the red and yellow are correctly wired as my  radio does not suffer memory loss.

Reading your reply I assume you have not thoroughly read anything I wrote so far.

I'm assuming my board computer takes away power from accessories in order for the starting motor to have enough power, but as I wrote in my original post as well as this reply, I don't lack power and I'm searching for a way around this.

It's really frustrating to keep repeating myself. Thanks for your attempt though.

I fixed it already, I found a blue remote wire at the steering wheel, it's on the left side of the speedometer. It's a switched power that doesn't drop below 12.5 while starting, perfect. Radio stays on while starting engine now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links