Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Camry Doorlocks

sealingwax

I was recently given a 1993 Camry by a family member. The car had been out in the rain for a few days when I went to pick it up. When I drove it , I heard the distinct sound of liquid sloshing around in the door whenever I braked. In hindsight, I know I should have immediately drilled a hole in the bottom of the door to drain the water...... sigh ..... but I just igonred it and hoped it would drain somehow.

In any case, after a week or so, the door stopped locking with a key from the outside. If I tried to turn it, I met with resistance and had to stop. Of ocourse, I kept on trying every time I used the car, and, interestingly enough, during the week that followed, the door *did* lock with the key.

Oh, I was so happy, I thought that whatever water damage had happened was fixed, due to evaporation or who-knows-what.

Well, of course, the problem wasn't fixed at all. The door locked with the key for a short time, but then it stopped locking OR unlocking altogether. This lasted a few days, and now it's unlocking again, but refuses to lock.

The locks and power locks are fine, the only problem is with the key mechanism from the driver's door.

Any ideas?

Electric door locks are a pain when they don't work right. Mine were ocking themselves every ten seconds. Blecch. It turned out to be a broken wire in the door near the hinge area. $140 for the Toycar dealer to "diagnose" & repair.

Best of luck.

Norm in NJ

Maybe wiggling all of the connectors will break through any fresh corrosion. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links