Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My T Sport Eats Its Brakes

Aphelion

Can any one tell me if they had any problems with there T sport, mine was in for its 40k service the other day it had to have a new set of rear pads, new fronts were fitted on the 30k service also had a complete brake rebuild also??

I am still experiencing a high pitch squeek from the front wheels at low speed ~ 4 mph any ideas? The dealer said the brakes were to blame?

:arrgg-matey:

30k miles sounds about right (if not good) for front brake pads. 40K miles, likewise for the rears.

The squeeling you are hearing can be one of three things.

1] A build up of brake dust around calliper and pads.

2] Lack of copper grease between metal components of the braking system ( and I am NOT talking about between the pads and discs!!!)

Brakes squeeling under heavy braking would indicate low pads again.

Read my "How-To" in the "Workshop Submissions" section of the site for more info.

But I reckon that they just need a good clean out with compressed air and if that doesn't cure the squeeling, slap a bit of copper grease between the pads and calliper.

HTH :thumbsup:

You can make the brakes last longer by Engine Braking - BUT bear in mind that it's a lot easier and cheaper to replace worn out pads/discs than to replace a worn out engine.

Brake pads are classed as consumables, so treat them as such.!

:P

Rich

You can make the brakes last longer by Engine Braking - BUT bear in mind that it's a lot easier and cheaper to replace worn out pads/discs than to replace a worn out engine.

As long as you don't over do your engine braking, your engine will be fine. On accelleration you have the Rev-Limiter to stop you doing too much damage to the engine. When Engine braking, I find it very rare for the engine to Rev above 4 or 5 000rpm. I wouldn't like to test the limiter's capabilities under engine braking tho... If it doesn't work then engine can go bang in a big way :arrgg-matey:

I was taught to drive with engine braking (abs and other advanced braking systems weren't around in those days). It also alows your revs to be matched with the speed of your car allowing more control in cornering and faster exit speeds - but you'll also need a bit of Heel-Toeing for perfection B) :P

As long as you don't over do your engine braking, your engine will be fine. On accelleration you have the Rev-Limiter to stop you doing too much damage to the engine. When Engine braking, I find it very rare for the engine to Rev above 4 or 5 000rpm. I wouldn't like to test the limiter's capabilities under engine braking tho... If it doesn't work then engine can go bang in a big way :arrgg-matey:

I was taught to drive with engine braking (abs and other advanced braking systems weren't around in those days). It also alows your revs to be matched with the speed of your car allowing more control in cornering and faster exit speeds - but you'll also need a bit of Heel-Toeing for perfection B) :P

Yeah, I was taught to use engine braking too but I gather its frowned upon by driving instructors nowadays. At least that's what I found out on my driver improvement course (but that's another story!).

Also, people behind can't tell you are slowing as they don't get to see your brake lights.

Apparently they need more of a clue than the back of your car looming up in front of them! :blink:

Also, people behind can't tell you are slowing as they don't get to see your brake lights.

Apparently they need more of a clue than the back of your car looming up in front of them! :blink:

Really fills you with confidence about the standards of some of the drivers on the road ! Whatever next - it's your own fault if someone drives into the back of you? :P

Rich

i guess a driver should not just care for whats in front of him...but what's at the back too...so it's not new that if someone drives in your back it could be your fault. besides that's why speed-distance limits exist.

regarding engine braking, it dose help when braking in the same time, but when having ABS it's better not to in my opinion. I once was with a mate on his Civic 1.6 VTEC and did a sudden brake. The intermittent braking of the brakes caused the cd player to skip track, so i better not have that force acting on the clutch and shafts etc...

REV limiters only cut fuel they wont stop your engine turning too fast..... they can only prevent your fuel map failing, you cant get enough fuel into your combustion chamber at faster RPM's caused not only by your right foot but by going down hill, poor down shifting, broken transmission, and if you could get that much fuel in it would cause detonation and all sorts of trouble, you'd be trying to drive over the engines capacity.

they are not a fail safe for your engine... only good driving can do that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links