Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Many Of You Have Nearly Spun In The Wet?

BLOODUK

Can be unforgiving if you take it too fast, as i've done a 1080 before.

Damn you mustve been dizzy after that! :lol: :P

maybe the car did 360 , but his head was still spinning?

lol funnny guys you two :P

well i just wanted to point out after reading system g's comment that i REALLY tried to get Nina to spin. It was about 2am and i purposefully took the corner at ridiculous speeds cos i wanted to try and spin. It was a class bend, quite "safe" to do so. I wanted to practice using that, but as i said police popped up outa nowhere so i've not again had a chance to try :(

Generally however it doesnt slip/slide as much as i want it to, sounds stupid me saying that, but sometimes u want a little fun!

-Z

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BLOODUK

• Bibbs

• KiwiMR2

• DeusMR2

Never had an MR2 spin on me (unless I wanted it to :D )

However today I have just bought a 2WD Sapphire cossy and i MADE it spin out on several occasions - in the dry!!!

Rash.

well i just wanted to point out after reading system g's comment that i REALLY tried to get Nina to spin.

Erm...

What comment was that, Z? :blink:

I tested it today , just turned left at a roundabout while accelerating hard weeee watch that back end go , but i controlled it. Nobody was about btw :)

Had to imagine if i was doing 30+ though

Thats where I spun.. on a roundabout.. put the power down and then I did a 360!

Never had an MR2 spin on me (unless I wanted it to :D )

However today I have just bought a 2WD Sapphire cossy and i MADE it spin out on several occasions - in the dry!!!

Rash.

Same....actully my only big spin was in my FISRT car...a 1984 VK Commodore :P damn I miss that car!! Got stolen from my old work carpark. It had sounds & tints etc, exhaust, lowered on 16" TSW Alpines...and had a 3 litre manual......RWD :) Turning into my old street and floored it to hard and the back just continued around as per usual in a rwd...had to SLAM on the brakes and ended up cm's away from the cars lined up turning out onto the road :o

EVER since then I learnt were the limit is and since have never spun out fully....just get the back end out on purpose when having some fun...just enough that I can pull it back in :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

my FISRT car...a 1984 VK Commodore :P damn I miss that car!! Got stolen from my old work carpark. It had sounds & tints etc, exhaust, lowered on 16" TSW Alpines...and had a 3 litre manual......RWD :)

Ahhhh....memorys!! looked like this:

269009_66.jpg

269009_88.jpg

But not green & the tints were darker. Imagine it with these rims:

0036-vi.jpg

And mine was low....you couldn't see the tyre at the top on the back with those rims :P

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I had those TSW Alpine wheels on my old Cavalier.

Cool...there actually quite nice when polished and bigger...17's or 18's, look nice on MR2's too!!

Cheers

KwiiMR2

Holden :drool:

It was cool...OLD but cool :) Pretty unique too as no one really bothered doing an old holden up especially a wagon.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Watched the High Octane DVD's (1&2) with Razor Over the weekend ..

Some quality old motors ..

Watched the High Octane DVD's (1&2) with Razor Over the weekend ..

Some quality old motors ..

Not bad aye!! As a matter of fact I have JUST finished watching number 5 just now!! Only just been released.....best of the lot!! I have 2,3,&,4 on dvd and I suppose I'll get 1 and 5 as there cool to watch. Ashame Ketzels MR2 is in such poor condition....sorta bad rep for MR2's but at least he get's it looking nice and eventually running into the 11's :) He's quite a cool guy to talk to as well...come into my work once and we had quite a long chat about MR2's :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Si (rev3 n/a) from mr2oc spun his car last night into a dual carriage way barrier.... :(

Si (rev3 n/a) from mr2oc spun his car last night into a dual carriage way barrier.... :(

Did exactly the same thing myself overtaking, I hit standing water and it went way too fast for me to correct it properly, all I could do was stop it hitting another car in the other lane, then binned it into the middle :( was all aesthetic luckily enough for me.

I drive very slow in the wet now, just not worth mashing your car up!

Yeah, me reckons good WIDE boots on the back are a safe bet, I got !Removed! 245's on the back of mine, and it's only an N/A!! SO I don'treckon my tail is gna come out in a hurry. Fingers X'd. Did ne1 go to Max Power live over the wkend? Twas my 1st time there, can't say I was exactly blown off me feet.

Wide tyres are okay .. unless you have a large difference between front and rear .. you want a 20 size differance.

If the difference is larger, the car will understear ..

Also wide tyres are worse for wet/snow driving .. cause the tyre sits on top of the snow/water instead of pushing through it. Think about snow shoes compared to stilleto heels ..

It's why snow rally cars have thin tyres ..

There is such a thing as too wide though, contrary to what people might think - narrower (to a certain extent) is better than wider in the wet! Put it this way, in the dry you just want as much rubber as possible in contact with the tarmac, so wider is better. Now in the wet you got a thin layer of water between the rubber and the tarmac but you still wanna get as much rubber as possible in contact with the road surface so you want to push away the water between the tyre and the tarmac. This depends on the force of the tyre on the road to push away the water film. So narrow tyre = less surface area = more force to push away water so more rubber in contact with the road. Wider tyre = less force to push the water film away = less rubber in contact with the road (however there is more rubber in a wider tyre anyway).

So there are lower and upper limits in the wet, personally i find the stock 215's to be too narrow, for tubbies especially, since the lateral force achieved by having the engine mid-section overcomes the lateral grip force of narrow tyres. With too wide a tyre though (say 250+) you run a higher risk of aquaplaning, though i doubt anyone would be silly to go that wide! (Not even possible I think anyway)

sorry for the long post, just thought some may find it interesting!

-edit Lol, just noticed Bibbs put what I just said into one sentence. Still good exercise for my fingers :D :P

:unsure: think i gonna put my 2 into hibernation this winter, and buy

a bangor for a few months :) lol

dont fancy risking loosing my 2. :blink:

I nearly lost it the other day. I was going pretty fast and hit alot of standing water. The whole car wobbled, front and rear... I thought I was gonna end up off the road. Was scary.

Note to self... drive slower in the rain.

Not looking forward to wednesday night to thursday, 3inchs+ of rain and high winds!

In my rev4 it's very easy to distinguish between when the rear end is going to skip out and when it isn't. It's only gone sidewyas once, when I wans't expecting it (That was within the first few hours of having the car).

Other than that, I can pretty much control when the rear end will go out. I just can't control it once it has. :blink:

I have japcrap tyres on the back and I'm going to need a nearside rear one very soon.

The breaking point has been quite easy to find. I can go all the way round roundabouts just with tyre screech without the rear going out....

But I drive like a !Removed! in the wet anyway. On the way home form work in the early hours I always go through the docks and have some fun. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links