Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

In The Process Of Replacing Both Front Axles

nglitz

First the basics: '94 Camry, I4, auto, no ABS, 120,000 miles. Both CV joints (outboard) make noises and the boots are torn, after 120,000 it's time for retirement. I found replacement axles at a local CarQuest shop for a decent price and decent return on cores.

Pulled the wheel nuts and axle nuts, popped it up on jackstands, pulled the hardware for the lower ball joints and the splines just about jumped out of the wheel hubs. So far, so good.

The left (driver's) side should come out of the transaxle with a little tug, sez the book. Nothing holds it in except the little spring ring around the splines. Right?? Big screwdrivers, pry bars, crow bars, nothing is moving that sucker. Am I missing something???

The Haynes manual I have says to "grasp firmyl & pull" to get the right (pass) side axle out of the center bearing & tranny. I pulled the little bolt, I have the clip in my hand and that sucker will not move. I've beat on the LHS of the center bearing 'til I'm blue in the face and that bearing just will not move. I suspect it's rusted in, but ... . Next thought: maybe if I pull the rear motor mount that shares a casting with the center bearing ... I can put it in a vise & beat it out.

I have all the bolts off the motor mount casting to the engine and all of the nuts off the motor mount itself. Everything is loose & rattles around (the motor is supported) but it won't let loose. I can move it front & rear about 1/4 inch and sideways a little. The stooopid motor mount has studs with nuts instead of holes & bolts that would have let me slide it sideways.

Can you tell I'm a little frustrated? It's in the driveway on stands with the hardware in boxes. I hate to put it back together & take it to a garage. Tomorrow is do or die day. I think if I can get the rear motor mount casting off, the inner axle will come out & I can heat & beat the center bearing out. I can also poke a drift through the tranny & get the LHS axle out. Then it should just fall back together.

Any thoughts, .... besides that I bit off more than I can chew?

Norm in NJ

I had the same situation a couple years ago on the 91 Camry. After 170,000 miles and a 16 year old driver, the transmission went kapoot. I ended up pulling axle, bearing and all (not easy) and took it to the bench and soaked it in penetrating oil then tapped it apart. It was dry and rusted. After getting it apart I sanded it clean and greased it. The next time service was needed it slipped apart easily.

• 1 month later...

Finally fixed the problem. I seperated the new and the old axles at the tripod (inner CV) joint and just installed 3/4 of a new axle. As the tripods don't have to deal with steering, they hardly ever wear out. A couple of CV joint boot bands and I'm in bidness.

Outville, do I understand that you pulled the final drive out of the trans?? That's where mine were stuck. The wheel bearings in the spindles came apart amazingly easy.

Norm in NJ

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links