Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brakes

john23

I had some new (standard) front discs, and pads all round fitted last week on my YTS. The discs had started to warp a bit, and pads were needed all round anyway. One thing I'd noticed recently as well was that if I braked while reversing, I'd hear a click/knock type noise as I engaged the brakes for the first time, as if the pads were moving a little bit.

Since the new bits have gone on, the signs of warped discs are gone as expected, but when reversing, the first time I brake, I still notice a clicking noise (which I think is quieter than before, although its hard to tell for sure). It doesn't do it if I brake gently, but normal pressure on the pedal will do it. If I then go forwards again, and brake, I get the same noise the first time I brake.

I can't see anything obviously amiss on the brakes (missing retaining clips etc...), although to be honest I don't really know what I'm looking for anyway.

To be on the safe side, I'll get it checked out. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this, and if it is normal (or not) to get a click when you brake for the first time when moving backwards after going forwards (and vice versa).

hm, cant say ive noticed that, somtimes pad sound like there grinding slighly, not noisey or pressure diff but jst makes interestin sound, sorry not trying 2 nick ya tred jst thought id mention that, yea id recomend getting it checked out, maybe take some1 out with u round the block and then get them 2 have a look for ya

hi mate, it aint just you. it does it to me sometimes aswell. but not very often. really annoys me when it happens. prob happens more but cant usually hear becos of my radio. but i just forget about after abomut 10 seconds

hi mate

yeah i no them noises ur on about

i had it on mine for a while and i took the car 2 me toyota dealer and the engineer took the car for a spin with me and said theres nothing 2 worry about

its jus when u first apply pressure 2 the pedals, its the first contact of the pads on 2 the brake discs.

hope this is all it is m8 :thumbsup:

Plug

Thanks for the replies.

I went up to the place that fitted the brakes, and we've discovered that the rear pads are actually slightly loose in their mountings, although not in any immediate danger of falling out. There are two pins on each side that hold the pads in place, and a clip for each side that stops the pins from falling out.

They have suggested that I get a new set of pins and clips from Toyota as the originals might have worn a bit, and have now become a bit loose. Toyota do it as a kit for £8, which I've ordered - the place that fitted them said they'd be happy to put it on for me.

Will have to see if that helps, hopefully the bits are turning up on Wednesday morning, so I should be able to get them on the car Wednesday lunchtime.

I had wondered if the pads weren't quite right, although the place that fitted them said they only had one supplier for the Yaris brakes, which are the people that supply the originals. The place that fitted them is normally pretty good, so I don't think they could have mixed up the pads, although I suppose its possible that the holes that the pins go through on the pads are slightly too big on the particular set of pads that I've got (ie- manufacturing defect).

Anyone else had any problems along these lines? Any suggestions/ideas/comments most welcome :)

More specifically, does anyone know if there is meant to be a bit of play on the rear pads? Or should the pads be held tight in place by the fitting pins?

Any advice much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who's following this thread, the problem is now resolved.

One of the fitting clips, and the anti rattle shims had gone missing. These have now been fitted, and as a precaution, the place that fitted them replaced the pads with some genuine toyota supplied ones that I got. The place that fitted them were pretty good about sorting it all out.

From talking to my dealer, it seems that its pretty normal to get the odd noise when changing direction (as described on my original post), although it should just be a sort of click rather than any sort of clunking or grinding.

I also looked at another T-Sport (owned by one of my co-workers), and could see that the rear pads do have a little bit of play.

Thanks to those who replied :)

Glad it’s all sorted John

I have noticed that while reversing at low speed and with gentle brake pressure there is a different noise from the brakes.

This is with most cars so I have no concern.

:thumbsup:

i know this is a bit irelevent but a couple of times when i have reversed after about 5 meters i get a large bang like i have run into something, also i have difficulty getting my car into reverse? neone else have this problem?

i know this is a bit irelevent but a couple of times when i have reversed after about 5 meters i get a large bang like i have run into something, also i have difficulty getting my car into reverse? neone else have this problem?

did you look through the rear view mirror?

try putting it into netrual, release the clutch, and try again

i have difficulty getting my car into reverse? neone else have this problem?

Yaris Reversing.

To prevent accidentally selecting reverse while driving forward, Toyota have come up with the following:

When you stop, release the clutch for approx 3 seconds, and when you depress the clutch again it will slip into reverse with ease.

(This was from the dealer by the way.)

:thumbsup:

cant be, I can get it in from 1st to reverse without a delay, even when the car is still rolling slowly

cant be, I can get it in from 1st to reverse without a delay, even when the car is still rolling slowly

In that case your gear box is knackered! :lol:

Good to note the problem is simply resolved.

For those who have similar problems without parts being amiss, I've had some success with the application of a high temp silicone compound applied to the back of the brake pad. The silicone compund is sold as a brake anti squeal or something to that effect by Dow

The Yaris doesn't have syncro on reverse. The-voice-of-reason's suggestion does make it easier to put into reverse. Alternatively, try selecting 2nd gear before putting it into reverse.

In that case your gear box is knackered! :lol:

My Car goes from 1st to reverse pretty easily too...even when the car is still rolling...same goes for vice versa...

is it cause Yaz is an older car?.. (nearly 5)

Cause I am pretty sure my gearbox isnt knackered thank you t-v-o-r ;) *hug

cause she has been able to do this from the beginning..

Mebbe Yaz is just 'special' :P *snigger

Ok guys...the click noise is the shims that fit on your brake pad......i've changes 1000's on not only yaris but corollas, avensis and ravs...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links