Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Customs/taxes Mystery

veilside_mr2

I`ve received a great price for a carbon bonnet from a company in america, but now ive been told that I may have to pay import tax, handling duty and vat...which could add a serious amount of money?

Is this true??

HELP! :blink:

yeah... you'll have to pay all of the above on it.

I had to pay some for my TRD harness belts, but it wasn't that much. Could imagine it might be a bit more for a CF bonnet tho.

Yes.

If you purchase any product with a price over £40 (i think), then you are liable for VAT, import tax, and handling duty.

Now, you might not have to pay them, but its always wise to budget with them, because you never know.

The import tax is between 10-15% of the total value (inc shipping), and VAT is 17.5% the total of that + import tax.

Handling duty is a small one-off fee

that is absolute BALLZ! lol, is there no way around it?...cant i just get them to send it as a personal present or sumthin?lol

There must b a way! :wacko:

well, they could send it as a gift (as long as its value was under £100 i think), but..

a. that would be illegal, so

b. companies are reluctant to do this, because

c. why would a company in the US send a gift to an individual in the UK

Another option would be if they put a low value on the package, thereby meaning you end up paying less tax, but again, this is illegal.

The limit is 20 UK pounds - doesnt matter if it's marked as a gift, if it's over £20 it's still charged. Dont forget too, you have to pay VAT on the postage on the box AS WELL as the value of the goods within it - dontcha just love the UK

could always go over there & bring it back with your luggage. might be a bit big to get into the over-head lockers tho!! lol

So basically, a carbon bonnet which is £460 inc delivery, is going to cost over £600 now just because of taxes?

Does the same apply when u buy items on eBay too?, and what about buying things from private sellers?

This is the most depressing day ever....im so ****** off! :(

I was just recently in the process of ordering a full kit from the states for $600, then they told me how much shipping was alone....$850..nevermind the $600...DOHH :angry:

Dunno about bonnets but i got my apexi RSM from japan over eBay for £120 and i didnt get taxed sicne it was clearly labelled as a gift on the front. I think you can easily get away with small things but large things are just asking for customs to rip them open...

So basically, a carbon bonnet which is £460 inc delivery, is going to cost over £600 now just because of taxes?

Does the same apply when u buy items on ebay too?, and what about buying things from private sellers?

for £460 you can get a Border CF bonnet from the UK mate.

Yo man, I bought a small item from the US last year. Theprice of italone wasonly 28 USD.So I had them put in a T_shirt too, which was USD I fink. The shipping cost wasn't that much either. So not much there huh. When it got here, it was in a quite small box, weighed less than a kilo. Then two weeks later, a letter from HM customs saying I had to pay another 28 quid smfing for an item purchased fromthe US. So in effect, I was paying tax that was near enuff equal to the value of what I had bought!! :o

Does the same apply when u buy items on ebay too?, and what about buying things from private sellers?

Really?, does that include vat and delivery?

Don't worry!

If the price is good from the US that much cheaper thab here go for it.

I bought a bodykit won't o into detail but taxes were £92...tax is roughly 4% on car parts (aftermarket) and then 17.5% vat then handling fee £10....Nyways if you buy stuff over there ask the seller if they'll help you out and put a lower price on the invoice...;) you pay on the declared price....

US is dirt cheap at the mo remember £1 = $1.82 roughly....

shipping for bodykit (big ***** box) was $350

get em to post it to the isle of man, nip across in your car and fit the bonnet there.

of course this will cost loads as the ferry aint cheap, but at least u wont be filling the pockets of our rip off robbing :censor: government. :thumbsup:

P.S i had to pay full tax on mine as they wouldn't lower the price...my mate bought stuff tho and someone over there did it for him...I don't know him anymore tho he wasn't a close friend......

Really?, does that include vat and delivery?

webmaster@hyper-speed.co.uk

Email mark at the above address mate. He can get the CF bonnets for about £460.

yea go with what jim says...his name is Mark, he's a very good bloke. Him and I have been through nightmares with an american company and their inabilities to operate a business properly.

His prices are good...im gettin a power fc off him at some point.

Dunno yet, he offered me the FC + commander for 580 inc delivery (special at the mo). He is even going to sort it for me so I can use it on my rev1 1990, he has a rev1 and he's putting one on his..it's only cos the harnesses are different that the rev3 don't fit (so a bit of jiggery pokery with the wires) + he can get hold of the sensors needed to make it work i.e. MAP and IAT.

;)

oh yeah... forgot about that.

he also offered me one too.

No point is there tho as I have the Unichip. Or is there ???

oh yeah i remember, it was £450, then £120 for delivery, but could take at least 4 weeks to turn up.

Still, good price tho, does ne1 hav a pic of the border cf bonnet?

look at the shockmr2 site mate.

Dunno if that's a Border bonnet, but it looks the exact same.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links