Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing From K&n To Apexi

CraigT

Ive decided to change my K&N induction kit for an Apexi induction kit.

The Apexi was always rated the better filter however it is more expensive. Another reason for wanting to change is because the K&N uses wet oil filters, apparently over time the oil can clog the air flow meter which attaches to the filter and can cause car problems. The Apexi uses a dry filter system so there is no such problem.

Can anyone provide me with good UK sites that I could buy the apexi air filter from. I cant even remember what site I got my K&N from :unsure:

Also does anyone on here have the Apexi air filter and how do ya find it?

Cheers for any help :thumbsup:

You need to get yourself down to Hyeline just off Penarth Road - it's where I got mine from.

Awesome.

Can I just ask, could I leave my induction pipe in place (it came with the K&N filter) for a better intake of air?

Also how have you guys found them? Are they good?

I got alot of stuff done at the same time as the apexi fitted so I can't really comment on how good they are etc. All I know is that it's on my car and it is supposedly the best out there.

As for induction pipe... I dunno... I'm mechanically retarded.... "oih mr garage man.. fit this thing to my car will you ? Thanks! ".

Biggest problem I had wth mine was that the instructions were in Japanese but the diagrams were OK. And anyway Hyeline have a guy called Kenzo - all the way from the "Land of the Rising Sun".

When I get my Apexi fitted I will try to fabricate a better cold air feed to it - but am a bit worried about messing up the cooling in the rest of the engine bay...

I got my filter from MTTE also.

Thanks for the advice so far. Ive pretty much done all the hard work with the K&N (ripping out the stock air box, filter etc) so Id imagine fitting the Apexi shouldnt be too bad.

One question, is the metal pipe that leads from the engine to the filter (the adapter thingie that comes with the Apexi) shorter than the hard rubber one you get with the K&N?

Only reason i ask is that the rubber one with the K&N is long and curved so that it positions the K&N filter in a better alignment with the induction pipe. Not that it would be difficult to accomodate this with the Apexi I suppose.

One other thing. Does the Apexi come with a steel plate that covers the top of the filter to protect it against rain which can drip in from the vents on the boot lid?

Im sure that I read it came with it somewhere.

as far as I can remember, it does mate.

I'll double check for you tho when I get my car back this afternoon.

One point tho......

My apexi wouldn't fit properly because the alarm siren was in the way, although the HKS one was fine. I had to get the mounting brackets etc modified for the Apexi.

Just a thought if you're doing it yourself.

as far as I can remember, it does mate.

I'll double check for you tho when I get my car back this afternoon.

One point tho......

My apexi wouldn't fit properly because the alarm siren was in the way, although the HKS one was fine. I had to get the mounting brackets etc modified for the Apexi.

Just a thought if you're doing it yourself.

Ah thanks for the infor mate!

You never see these things coming until "erm hang on theres not enough room!" :help: :D

On your rev 3 you are lucky enough to not have to worry about the air mass meter or anything, and the kit should fit easily. The kit comes with a heat shield that sits over the air filter to stop it sucking in hot air to the engine, and probably rain from the top - but this isn't bad - think of it as natures water injection. It may mount closer to the engine though, which is why I commented on getting a cold air feed up to it somehow.

The current induction pipe shoud do a decent enough job of blasting cold air to the air filter, luckily it can be streched too, so I may alter its positioning to better suit the new air filter.

Get the Apexi by all means, but don't rely on the "heatshield" to actually do much other than protect it from water ingress. If you really want heat shield you've got to go the cold air box route.

Don't stick the filter too far down near the side intake as you'll collect a lot more *******... but don't put it so far up that you'll be affected by heat soak... ahhhhh, compromise!

I don't use an Apexi, I use the full Racing Suction kit from HKS (not the cheaper Powerful that the tests are compared against) and I get on with it fine. See my piccies in the sig below. That's my heat shield made out of carbon fibre with gold leaf on the outside to protect a little more from heat...

Just got a quote back from MTTE for the 'Apexi Power Intake Kit' for £135 inc P&P.

Is this the standard price or can I get it cheaper elsewhere?

Only reason I ask is that Im sure I saw it for £120 somewhere before but cant for the life of me find the site again :blink:

Im gonna get it in about 2 months time. If anyone wants my K&N for a reasonable price (barely used) nearer the time, just let me know ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links