Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Cut

KiwiMR2

Just got back from a blat....REALLY cold out so I obviously ran it on High B) however I decided to up the high a little bit as it didn't quite seem like usual...I THINK I may have gone a bit high as when I floored it in 3rd (boost always comes on hard in 3rd) the orange engine light flashed up....and the car hit a wall (cambelt ran through my mind ;) )

Sounds like fuel cut but Iv'e run 24 psi b4 and never hit it......anyone??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

u didn't hit the limiter did u?

You mean rev limiter?? have ONCE before but I almost ALWAYS change up before redline.....and Iv'e never had the orange light come on.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I hut the rev limiter once without noticing when I was hoofing it... light came on and the car died for a few minutes.

Sounds like a fuel cut to me...? But as you say, it doesn't seem probable.

Can you read any stored ECU codes??

I did that the other day i was coming onto the motorway from onramp it felt as if the car jerked , but strange thing i hadnt even hit the rev limit and no engine light came on.... it felt as if the car couldnt go any faster.

Any reason why?

that mate is the ecu going into safe mode! I take it it happened around 5k rpm and you were boosting?

that mate is the ecu going into safe mode! I take it it happened around 5k rpm and you were boosting?

Yep! how do i sort it out?

let me guess its that fuel problem i wanted proof for , seems i got my proof lol it didnt die , no engine light it just jerked like i was in the red of the rev limiter but i wasnt

edit : i only have one fuel station with optimax and sometimes its full and i cant get petrol , do you recommend i go with optimax the last bit of petrol i put in was optimax so im running super unleaded and optimax atm.

please advise thanks DeusMR2

the orange light then goes away and every time you mak +ive boost it hessitates?

That'll be fuel cut ..

the orange light then goes away and every time you mak +ive boost it hessitates?

That'll be fuel cut ..

As i said i noticed NO orange light , but it did hessitate

how do i sort it? would a fuel cut defender work

Just hessitation .. drop the boost and get new eletrics ..

it'll not be fuel cut without the light ..

Sounds like plugs, leads or dizzy...

I would vote for a plug change.

Thats something i havent checked lately , ill take a look into that when im back from holiday weather is too stormy to do anything today

get new eletrics

and

Sounds like plugs, leads or dizzy...

That's the eletrics side of the engine.

Could also be gapping on the plugs - not sure what it is supposed to be on an MR2 I think its 0.8mm

Sounds like FC for me....need to get my gauge sorted then try some tests :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

sorry for the late reply blooduk, if i was you id fill or half fill (£20) a tank with optimax, reset the ecu (disconenct the ECU fuse in the fusebox) for 2 minutes and see if you notice a difference after a while of driving through 100% optimax. Its up to you then to choose whether you think its worth it, im sure you will prefer it. My 2 feels totally different under unrestricted max boost..alot like flying!

sorry for the thread hijack btw guys!

I've got the same problem with the 4a-gze in my Corolla- I've retarded the timimg, closed the plug gap, swapped coils, used Optimax and nothing makes any difference. The only thing that temporarily solved my problem was using 106 octane Racing Fuel - but at £80 for 25 litres it's a tad expensive for everyday use :crybaby::eek: :censor:

Anyone got a more permanent solution?

I *think* that if you use optimax AND !Removed! the timing then the total effect negates using optimax in the first place? Have you tried using optimax on stock timing?

deusmr2 you really know how to give people headaches..... Fuels n ecus n resets

:wacko::wacko:

But i do like the knowledge you provide :thumbsup:

Ok please explain about the reset ecu , for other people aswell....

1. I currently have some super unleaded and i have optimax in the tank, would it be possible to leave as little petrol as possible then go to the garage and fill her up with optimax would it be bad if there was still some super unleaded left in?

2. Where is the fuse to the ECU located? , do i take the fuse out while the car ignition is off and take the ecu fuse out for 2mins, then plug fuse back in and turn the car on?

EDIT : im going away on holiday later, so i wont be able to reply till i get back sorry :(

I *think* that if you use optimax AND retard the timing then the total effect negates using optimax in the first place? Have you tried using optimax on stock timing?

Yes. I've tried all thiese individually and in comination and nothing fixes it.

It would be usefull to know what the stock timing SHOULD be. Engine is JDM 4a-gze with MAP and DLI and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on that.

deusmr2 you really know how to give people headaches..... Fuels n ecus n resets

:wacko::wacko:

lol :D :P

In answer to your q's

1. Id do what youre suggesting and that is to let the needle hit the bottom line (theres still about 15 litres in the tank at this point!!), then fill up with as much optimax as you can. After a couple of days of driving, fill up with a bit more optimax and then the effect of super unleaded should be unoticable.

2. To reset the ECU first run the car to warm it up to operating temperature, temp needle half way. Turn the car off and then open the fuse box in the enginebay, its near the coolant cap on the left as youre facing the front. Its a black triangularish shaped box, fairly big. Pull out the ECU plug (i think its one of the round fuses as opposed to the square ones) for 2 mins and then just plug it back in. Start the car up again n run it hard so that the ECU learns how to full boost again, you should notice a big difference!

ae111sr i dont know much at all about the 4a-gze engine, will have a look around for some tech info though!

My g-limited does this....... obviously not cos of boost as its lacking in that department :P

Orange light comes on and it wont accelerate at all...... only ever happens when im NOT blatting it though, like sat on the m'way at low revs, or just pootling along the lanes, never had it happen when im flooring it :blink:

Knackered fueling? - seems to happen if ive got opti or tesco's gutter fuel in it, may go and try the reset as ive got a tank of opti in at the mo ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links