Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bumper repair costs

Trellis

Hello! I'm new to the forum so apologies if this has been covered already but looking for advice re bumper repair. I was involved in a minor collision and this is the damage... (see below) I got the car through arnold clark. Should I go to them for the repair? It took quite a bump but is still running. Any idea on costs? I'm a new ish driver too so I feel a bit clueless!

20191016_162229.jpg

Most important question, who bumped who?

Hello Elle - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Seems more than a bumper repair - the bonnet looks as though it needs some attention. 

Are you putting this through your insurance? If so, they may have their own Approved Repairer which they will want to use. Yes, one can choose your own repairer, but some insurance companies now charge an increased excess if you go outside their Approved Repairer network.

Do Arnold Clark have their own bodyshop, or do they contract out?

Whichever way you go, make sure they are part of a trade body (eg Vehicle Builders & Repair Associiation (VBRA)) or similar, and check what warranty you have on the repairs. Some may be manufacturer or insurer Approved.

• Thanks 1

Guy in front of me bumped into the back of someone else, so I in turn bumped him. A series of unfortunate events! 

I will be putting it through the insurance I think although I plan to get some quotes first. I have a feeling it's going to be expensive though so maybe worth it

Hit a tow bar ? That's a new bumper, bonnet and/or hinges, bumper reinforcement and maybe a slam panel plus paint, looking at the pic again headlight is busted and the fog light has gone too - there is no telling without removing the bumper

Parts prices at rrp may write the car off if more than 50-70% of the value (car is valued at trade prices)

Well I got a quote from a trusted local garage today. They're giving an estimate of £2,113 all in for front bumper, upper grill, lower grill, bonnet, front wing, landing panel and front fog light plus labour cost. I'm worried my insurance will just write it off now. 

If the insurer does write the car off, the settlement should be somewhere between trade value and retail value.

Retail value includes an element of profit for the dealer - insurers won't pay for this element, which is why settlements are between trade and retail. There is usually a degree of wriggle room in settlement figures, so if the worst case scenario happens, and you have reasonable grounds for querying the first settlement (eg evidence that equivalent cars are much more expensive, low mileage, etc), you can ask for a revision.

• 5 weeks later...

If they decide to write it off, you could do worse than using the payout to get a car like the one I just missed, a 2015 X Pure with 12,300 miles only, which had been Cat D listed and repaired. It seems it only needed a new wing and door! How this makes it Cat D is beyond me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links