Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 2dl avensis starting problem

Tom2112

Hey, I'm having trouble starting the car, cold starts especially but there's trouble on warmer days too. Once the car eventually starts, I can start the car again anytime during the day, it's just the first start on the mornings.

When the cars driving the red security light is also constantly blinking.

Not sure if this has been covered but, I've had a few me panics look at it and can't  work it out.

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Hey, I'm having trouble starting the car, cold starts especially but there's trouble on warmer days too. Once the car eventually starts, I can start the car again anytime during the day, it's just the first start on the mornings.

When the cars driving the red security light is also constantly blinking.

Not sure if this has been covered but, I've had a few me panics look at it and can't  work it out.

hi when you say hard to start is it a case where its cranking and almost firing up n then knocking off if so bad restricted spurious old fuel filter coukd be culprit i changed my old blue print one with genuine avensis one and put set of Bosch glow plugs in my 2008 avensis check yur glow plugs using muktineter or by carefully removibg them and testing them w live and earth connectiobs mine were so bad engine was firing on one glow pkug after muktiple attemps 

1 fuel filter genuine toyota filter only also quite expensive but deffo worth it

2 glow plugs check them see if they glow by taking em iut n doing glow test with liv n earth wires or resistance check

3 immobilizer or key make sure Battery in key us good so signal doesnt get lost upon startup when pkaced into ignition barrel 

4 high pressure pump and injecrors make sure all visually ok no leaks visually and connections to fuel fikter etc all clips fastened cirrectly 

5 fuel filter housing if car starts first time after you having to hand prime in morning fuel filter housing may be culprit

• Like 1

10 hours ago, James_Delahunt said:

hi when you say hard to start is it a case where its cranking and almost firing up n then knocking off if so bad restricted spurious old fuel filter coukd be culprit i changed my old blue print one with genuine avensis one and put set of bosch glow plugs in my 2008 avensis check yur glow plugs using muktineter or by carefully removibg them and testing them w live and earth connectiobs mine were so bad engine was firing on one glow pkug after muktiple attemps 

1 fuel filter genuine toyota filter only also quite expensive but deffo worth it

2 glow plugs check them see if they glow by taking em iut n doing glow test with liv n earth wires or resistance check

3 immobilizer or key make sure battery in key us good so signal doesnt get lost upon startup when pkaced into ignition barrel 

4 high pressure pump and injecrors make sure all visually ok no leaks visually and connections to fuel fikter etc all clips fastened cirrectly 

5 fuel filter housing if car starts first time after you having to hand prime in morning fuel filter housing may be culprit

Thanks James! 

Yeah, it will turn over and almost start and do this a number of times until.ebentually it starts and a puff of white smoke comes out the back (assuming that's the built up abou ts of fuel from trying to start it). 

Thanks! I'll try this and see how it goes!

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Thanks James! 

Yeah, it will turn over and almost start and do this a number of times until.ebentually it starts and a puff of white smoke comes out the back (assuming that's the built up abou ts of fuel from trying to start it). 

Thanks! I'll try this and see how it goes!

Start with the cheapest which is a genuine toyota fuel filter then if the issue still persists check or buy a set of glow plugs mine in total for the plugs and filter was like 90 quid so its cheaper and i wouldnt mind someone who works where i work which is in  toyota dealer said oh probably injectors i wouldnt mind my injectors are fine and ik this cuz i work in toyota myself and ive never replaced any so far in any of the d4ds that came into me 

Screenshot_20191113_225323.thumb.jpg.1ed591420818fc3ec75a4b32472e96cb.jpgHi, 

If you get White smoke on start, it could be injector issue (leaking) on cylinder or just glow plug issue. 

Also toyota diesel engines have suffered from starting issues, and they made some ECM update for it, Maybe you check if Your ecm is up To date also, if you have friend Who has techstream you can check the calibration ID of ECM. Mine was updated, but sometimes it just doesn't start on hot day. 

I allready changed 

SCV valve 

Glow plugs

Fuel filter

Injectors on Mine are on tolerance correction factor, +-0.5cc driven 430tkm

Next i will replace injector fuel return line, or starter motor havent decided yet there have been some issues that it draws Air on the line from sealings, check also if the priming of fuel filter helps on starting . 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links