Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

corrosion in engine - identification help

dotBorg

Evening all, I'm hoping for a bit of assistance in identifying this quite heavily corroded engine part in my 2012 Aygo Ice please. It's right at the front centre of the engine bay. It has me a little worried as I've only just bought this car but didn't spot it on my initial inspection (it's my first used car for a while, I had a lot to think about!)

Anyway, if you can help me find out what it is and if I should be worried about it, that would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance.

engine_corrosion_sm.jpg

You can go to japan-parts.eu and enter your VIN, then you can find the part and see it's purpose.

The engine is made from aluminium, so i would say it's only the exhaust manifold rusting out a bit, maybe , due to the position, being put in front of the car, so it gets hit with water and salt constantly.

Could also be the exhaust manifold gasket, i found some online and they appeared to be made out of metal.

I would just poke it a bit with a screwdriver and clean off with a small wirebrush, if it bothers you that much.

Does not look that bad to me tho, it should have no impact on the car performance.

• Like 1

That's one grotty exhaust manifold - its not cheap either as its combined with the cat, a used one may be an option

Edit. Just had a look the manifold plate that bolts to the car is a stamped steel and has a lip around it, that's what has rotted not the sealing surface

Here's a random pic from google (click to enlarge)

bee948bf-e42d-441a-b986-0cee7f621be7_417973.thumb.jpg.55e61bf61114ee4e0f156506c0fbe59b.jpg

Thanks guys, that's been a big help. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse.

Not really an issue for me personally, the car should function fine anyway.

When it's colder weather, on cold start, open the bonnet and see if there is any blowby, if not, the gasket is doing it's job, and i would not think about it anymore.

Replacing a functional part just because it looks nasty is a waste of money and time.

Enjoy your new car and don't stress about it.

• Like 1

Interested thread...I replaced my cat with a brand new Toyota one but this thread has me thinking...how could one avoid it getting to the state as in dotBorgs condition?

Could always paint with a heat resistant paint, those hold up to about 750C, and your exhaust and cat will be lower, so should be fine.

If the gasket is from mild steel, find some alternative to that too.

But if the part performs the function that it's designed to do, it's waste of time and money replacing it just because it looks ugly..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links