Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E O2 Sensor

gaz_D

Hi all!

I had to have my Carina replaced about a week ago after someone rear-ended me. The boot was caved in and the guy hit me quite low from behind, so the exhaust was slighted marked, but nothing serious and no dashboard lights.

When I collected the car from the garage, the engine management light appeared lit up on the dashboard and the clock had been reset. I took the car to the Toyota dealer and they say that the o2 sensor needs to be replaced. However, I've read elsewhere that the sensor can cause the dash light to come on if the power supply has been disrupted.

SO...

Is it possible that the garage mechanics disconnected the Battery and that this is all that is wrong? Do I just need to get it reset? Would be really grateful for any posts.

Thanks guys!

G

• 2 months later...

Hi Gaz,

This sounds similar to what has happened to me (twice)

First time.........waiting to pick my daughter up from school, the Battery goes flat. Managed to jump start the car but engine mgmt light stays on. Toyota dealer diagnoses Lambda sensor fault and quotes £351 to fix. Eventually managed to get a replacement from breakers yard for £80

2nd time.......battery goes flat......engine management light comes on again....I haven't taken it to a dealer yet but it can't be a coincidence that both times the Battery has gone flat and the engine management light has come on....

Hiya

Try resetting the ECU and see if the fault still occurs after (and toyota try and charge you stupid amounts to replace the sensor). Instructions on how to do this, CLICK HERE

Hope this helps guys!

Rach x

Hi Rach

I tried to reset the OBD by removing the fuses marked EFI for 10 secs as suggested but the flipping "check engine" light is still on.

Is there any reason why the lambda sensor would fail as a result of a flat Battery ?

Thanks for your help

Have heard of sensors failing due to a surge from Battery being reconnected, but thats quite rare for that to happen. One other cause is the sensor may have been on its way out as it is (common fault on carina unfortunately, think nearly everyones had to replace their sensor at least once!!) and the Battery dying could have been a trigger.

If you ask over on the Toyota Family board or over on owners club, Im sure someone will have experienced the same circumstances :)

goto www.justlambda.co.uk for a new one NOT TOYOTA. :thumbsup:

I know it's common for carina sensors to fail, but I can't believe that I would have two failures at the same time as having a flat Battery. Other owners also appear to have failed sensors when their batteries are disconnected or go flat. So I suppose the question is.....do failed or disconnected batteries cause the sensors to fail or is it a duff error message ?

I really dont want to fork out £350 if I don't need to.......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links