Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo - coolant leak possibly

gotagetz

For some months it had seemed there was a drip of oil from fromy centre when parked up. Stuck my finger in it tonight and it's more water based. Plenty of water on the expansion tank, but the top hose where the radiator cap is I was expecting coolant. Probably put a cup full in before it came to the top if the neck. There's a hose which I think runs to the bottom of the radiator and when squeezing appears to be empty....I could be wrong.  There is heat coming out of the heater,  so obvs water in the system. No mayo in the oil filler.

Any standard culprits for a leak?

It isn't excess water expelled from the air conditioning evaporator drain?

Are you getting any warning light for high heat?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Maybe coming from the weep hole, suggesting it's time to replace the water pump? Check around water pump, for any leaks.

It's not got aircon, no warning lights on the dashboard.

weep hole? Is that in an obvious place to see?

Also noticed it's got quite a rattle when cold but near enough quieten's when warm.  Hmm could be a pump, not expensive.  Daughter only does short runs now and again bit ill book it into the garage of dad!

Not really that obvious, you can check the water pump for any oxidation, maybe a bit more obvious.

Or put a piece of cardboard under the car, it should give you better indication from where the water is coming. 

Had a quick look and listen.  Rattle seems to be water pump area, increase when revved. When normal temp noise is there but not as much. The tiny puddle could be from the radiator, it's certainly rusty on the top edge, so suspecting it might have caught a small stone even. Parts are cheap so I might out a new pump and radiator on. 

Changed ours just beforen all this lockdown. Were losing coolant but couldnt find where. Waterpump is easy and cheap to swap and a nice design so dont need any sealant. Need to take out arch liner to get at it. Still not had a chance to see if its fixed it as no miles for weeks on the car. I didnt change the belt but may be worth doing while you are in there. Different sizes depending on if you have air con.

Wheel arch liner out? I thought it was bumper off , slacken belt and there would be access.

No, jack up, wheel off, liner out and then you can get to the pump. Slacken belt by loosening the alternator and the tension adjuster (was quite tight on ours). I didnt bother draining the fluid, just pulled off the pump and let it pour out into a bowl.

Taking the liner out is easy. Just be careful with the retaining clips. Ive not taken the front bumper off but suspect this is more tricky. I went with a £23 quid pump off eBay.

Thanks Simon,  it's just I've done some googling and they say bumper off. Looks easy enough to do that. I can take my saab bumper off in 5 minutes!

Not tried the front one. Can do the back one now as had that off recently to fix the infamous leaks. I tend to watch the videos on youtube and the guy there took the arch out...

Recommendations for make of pump?  My dealer is closed.  Car doesn't do many miles now, but mid  range price. 

The C1 owners club shop sells them and does a mid and high priced version. This was the one I bought though from eBay. Seemed fine and came with new bolts....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMLINE-New-Water-Pump-FOR-Toyota-Aygo-Daihatsu-Charade-Cuore-Sirion-1-0/391878511000?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Cheer's I was looking at borg and beck cos I'd heard of them. £30.

Bumper off access from the front is nice. No evident sign of a leak apart from maybe a mixture of antifreeze and of oil on the sump joint. Pump came off easily and it looks like it's original Toyota as it's stamped AISIN.  So if so it's done 110k miles. It has a small amount of sideways play which I'm guessing is amplified when it's running under load.

15878174781141083525491.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic, new pump fitted noise still there but not as much. Looks like alternator also.  OK to run for a few seconds with belt disconnected? 

Grab the pulley and there play in the bearing. Citybug store sending one out for tomorrow .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links