Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying A Mr2 Gti Uk Or Jap Import

wyldeSR

Right peeps i need some help quick smart ;)

i'am going to look at a few mr2's Mostly GT AND GTI MODEL's

i would love a turbo but not for my first mr2

my mate told me that the uk gti is 158bhp standard and the jap version is around 178bhp standard.

the jap models seem to have lower mileage and come with leather interior also they are a bit cheaper :)

Can anyone please help with what to look for and the pro and cons of owning a mr2 gti

plus anything you can think, and if anyone has a nice mr2 forsale i have cash waiting and i am looking forward to getting one :) :) :)

cheer's wyldesr

also whats all this rev2 rev 3 all about :unsure:

Click here for revision differences.

But year on year there's little difference between the UK & Jap NA cars (apart from the Jap rev5 G-Limited, mmmmm).

Jap cars may have a little more BHP due to 100RON fuel over there but it won't make much difference.

Jap cars at best have half leather interior, UK T-Bars are the only ones to get full leather.

Having a UK car has advantages in that generally the insurance is a little cheaper, parts are a little cheaper (mostly the same though), and that the engines ECU is mapped for 95RON fuel rather than 100RON. Jap cars usually (if not all) have air conditioning - very expensive option for UK cars that's why a UK car with AC is rarer than rocking horse poo.

Personally I wish I'd bought a Jap rev5 now, but that's because of the vast differences between the UK NA and Jap NA - 32bhp more, passenger airbag, climate control, smaller steering wheel. Of course it depends on which year you're looking to buy as the differences are less among revisions 1 - 4.

I believe all the Jap models have a bit more bhp than UK ones, but I don't think many had leather seats or sunroofs. My G-Limited import has a hard top and cloth interior, nice and comfy though. It's true the Jap models have air con which is a handy extra. Imports are generally cheaper but have less history.

My g limited tbar has the full leather! but its in good condition so it might have been swopped?

I believe all the Jap models have a bit more bhp than UK ones, but I don't think many had leather seats or sunroofs. My G-Limited import has a hard top and cloth interior, nice and comfy though. It's true the Jap models have air con which is a handy extra. Imports are generally cheaper but have less history.

imports tend not to have full leather seats... too sticky out there.

Also not true about less history.. I have full Jap history.

Jap and the equivalent UK models all had the same bhp since they were all manufactured in the same Japanese factory. Its just that over there they get better petrol while we get stuck with mostly 95 and 97RON (and probably get charged more for it!). Both specs would take advantage of 100RON petrol the same though.

Hi, (i know i keep mentioning this guys but please bear with me!!!)

Mines for sale,

Its a Revision 2, Mr2 Mk2 in Black. K reg Registered 1992 Import Naturally Aspirated engine (non - turbo). Approx 70,000 miles (converted clock from kmh to Mph) Coupe.

It has a K&N air filter, TRD short shift gear knob, Momo Champion Steering wheel, Electric & folding mirrors, clear front indicators (original orange ones i also have in the boot), Sony CD/MP3 Player, New gear surround (leather gaitor), recently fitted Clutch & Cambelt, Original 15" wheels reconditioned (gives a much better ride, as its a bumpy car anyway), 4 brand new tyres (not the best make but still new all round), Boot liner, New seals around the entire drivers side door area, Good condition all round, no leaks / creaks etc.

Niggly bits:-

*Exterior scratches to front nearside bumper (wouldnt imagine it would cost much to rectify) bodywork is generally in very good condition for a car this age.

*Aerial does not retract up or down (the motor works and the guys on this forum say its very easy to fix - i have just not had the time)

*There is slight wind noise from the drivers side door (again this is a common problem with Mr2's and can be ignored once you get used to it, or have some tunes on!)

The car has been reliable from the day I bought it and the people on the owners club believe i could sell it for as much as £3500 privately - I have been offered £2500 for it if i was to part ex it via Rash (official trader on this site). However, due to some personal circumstances im needing to get rid asap to get some money, hence the £2000 figure.

The Mot exipres late august and it is taxed until 30/09/04. The original space saver spare wheel is also in the front bonnet area.

I've spent a fair whack on it regarding getting the new clutch, speedo and cambelt done - i have the receipts for all this work too from Toyota.

Its been serviced by a mechanic who works for the Police / local council.

Also it has a Sigma Thatcham Category 1 Alarm / Immobiliser fitted too with a total of 3 keys and 2 alarm fobs.

It really is a steal at £2000!

If you are interested, then PM me or call me on 07834183608.

Oh yes, the car is also fully HPI checked clear.

All in all, its a very nice car, the only issues with it are those mentioned above to my knowledge and its reliable and fun to drive...It may not be the fastest mr2 cos its not a turbo, but its still fast enough.

Cheers

Adam

adam i have cash waiting to buy a mr2

what type of interior does it have

looking to buy asap

jim lad

what a chuffing car

where do you get front lights like that fo a mr2

i want some, i guess i'd better get a car first

wyldesr

me old mates over at revision6.com . They sell practically nearly everything I have on my car. Hence it's on their stand at JAE.

jimlad thanks for the link

revision6.com is a wicked site, just enough to quech my mr2 thirst

yip... they're good guys. If you need anything Mr2 related, give them a buzz as they'll most probably be able to help you out!

I believe the original MR2 NA model was 158BHP, this was revised to 178BHP.

Worth pointing out that the modifications to increase the power output to 178BHP were all for top end performance. Ie at higher revs where the 16v engine is happy.

However, if I remember correctly the 158BHP model actually out accelerates the 178BHP model to 60mph, it also could reach a higher top speed.

Not entirely sure the reason for this, might be added standard equipment, chassis strenghting increasing the weight. Or more likely high end tuning normally reduces low end torque, thus affecting acceleration and 'grip'.

I think the 178BHP models came out late 93 in the uk, not sure in Japan.

Have you got some insurance quotes yet to see if there is much difference between a uk and jap model.

I have a UK car which is a K plate (so a rev 2). Its a t-bar so it has full leather and also aircon which is nice when we have summer.

On many older cars, the leather is usually cracked though, unless someone has decided to get new seats.

A few t-bars have aircon too, so if you also want that, you may have to hunt around.

And mine is not for sale yet.

Go to JAE next week and have a good look at the various MR2's it will help give you an idea on what the different cars have.

:)

There is slight wind noise from the drivers side door (again this is a common problem with Mr2's and can be ignored once you get used to it, or have some tunes on!)

Adam - I hadnt heard this was "common" but nice to know mine isnt the only one that does it!! Do you or anyone else know what causes it (and how to fix it) - like you said it is fine if you turn your tunes up but I was thinking about fitting a hands free kit and the mic would be in that corner which would prob not be the best especially if there is a (relatively) easy fix out there?

Thanks folks......

Ed

Yeah, a few people on here have it, everyone i test drove before buying this one had it too - you just get used to it.

Heres the pics:

Rear_001.thumb.jpgScratches.thumb.jpgReconditioned_Alloys.thumb.jpgRear_Lower.thumb.jpgInterior6.thumb.jpg

There you go!

As someones mentioned in other posts, the later revision cars were heavier than the rev2 so it sort of negates the extra bhp that the later ones had....

Very nice mate, need to come and have a look though, realy, how far away are you from London?

Titto is it possible to view the car tomorrow

i am coming from south wales so can you give me your mobile to arrange a meeting place what time is best for you

wyldesr

No problem at all.

mobile is 07834183608. Ring me in the morning if you like and we can arrange something. Where you coming from?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links