Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clock spring issue after indicator stalk replacement

preecyp

I replaced a faulty indicator stalk on the wife's Aygo at the weekend, however, when putting the steering wheel back on i think I've knocked the clock spring out of alignment. When pushing or pulling the indicator stalk all the way up or down it doesnt always lock into position (ie: having to keep the stalk pushed up or down to indicate).

Is it possible to realign the clock spring or will i need a new one?

Was the wheel centred when you removed the old stalk,

Is it a cheap Chinese stalk or an oem item ? is it the correct one for your car ?

The clock spring will only unwind if the wheel is removed did you put it back in the same position ?

What was the original problem ? Intermittent indicators/not working or did they not self cancel

Stalk was ordered off eBay so probably a cheap Chinese one.
Yeah i centred the wheel and marked with a pen to ensure it was re-fitted back in the right position.
The original issue was one of the indicator dashboard signals weren't working. I was told this is a common problem on the Aygo,C1,106 due to worn contacts on the stalk. Replacing the stalk has fixed that issue but now the stalk doesnt always lock when pushed all the way up or down.

Did the original stall click on/off if so i would think its the stalk that is the issue

Yeah the original stalk worked fine clicking on and off.
i've had the wheel back off again and if i rotate the clock spring a little the stalk begins to click on/off no problem but once i put the wheel back on again it starts to play up again.

The CS maybe out by 1 turn then, if the CS is correct you should have 2-3 rotations it each direction (3 turns lock to lock ?)

ok cheers, appreciate your help. 

will give it a go. if that doesnt work ill try the old stalk to determine if its cheap chinese stalk or the cs at fault.

Turn's out it was the new stalk. Cleaned up the copper contacts on the original stalk and re-fitted it. Working fine! Guess that's what you get for buying cheap Chinese rubbish off eBay 😛

57 minutes ago, preecyp said:

Turn's out it was the new stalk. Cleaned up the copper contacts on the original stalk and re-fitted it. Working fine! Guess that's what you get for buying cheap Chinese rubbish off ebay 😛

Hi, was it corrosion, grease or both that was on the contacts?

Bit of both. It's working after a clean but suspect its only a matter of time before it completely fails and i;ll need to replace the stalk with a genuine stalk.

There is supposed to be grease to allow the contacts to slide (non-conductive grease)

as in life don't let it go dry

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links