Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Day Spent In The Boot Lol!

MSC_Kev

Hi peeps

Had a day off today (wohooo) and started to prep the boot for the install. sound proofed the spare wheel recess in prep for the sub to be fitted.

after removing the whole boot look and greasing it up, it still rattles, grrrr! so I'll have to think again on that one.

I have the whole rear end of the car sound proofed now, just the front doors to do

Have about 3 weeks work ahead of us, so won't be finished in time for JAE, but should have bits started by then The list is:

1. New false floor with sub mounted with 2 ports under perspex sheeting, Battery moved into the right hand side and enclosed with power cap. There will be an amp rack in the shape of an L to house both amps. Fans will be mounted in the floor with LEDS and I haven't decided on coverings yet. Using fibreglass to smooth off the edges and possibly cover the lot in it.

2. Custom rear door builds for the comps, which currently sit on my parcel shelf and I don't like them there at all.

3. Install DVD player, with moblie Pioneer screen.

I'm sure I'll think of something else as well

post-10-88490-installwip.jpg

Kev

Looks like the trunk of my E12 to the moment. Much cables without hardware. I am working step by step. First I put all the wires in, than I chanched the rear Speakers and taped the skirts. Next step will be to design a new trunkfloor and get the amps in.

Whats done until now:

rolla_teer1.jpg

rolla_teer2.jpg

rolla_teer3.jpg

rolla_teer4.jpg

Regards, Eric

It's always a pleasure to see what your capable hands can do fellas :thumbsup: ...keep up the good work and keep us posted!

XLarge...that's the origal Speakers fitted i guess...is it a 17cm?

looking good fellas!

i really want a fiber glass install if anyone knows some good hints and tricks :P

I've got a good hint Jaxx about fibre glass, DON'T DO IT!!! :lol::lol:

Plenty of space, everything at hand and i mean everything!!! :help::help: and lots of time.

Tape up, the area of what you are going to mould, and then increase the area twice over. Once resin sets, F :censor: !Removed! to get off.

Use gaffer tape as cheap option, or as i did, used resin tape, special stuff which makes sure the mould doesn't stick.

They say, cut fibreglass into squares of about 6"-12" squares, which is a good size to work, but depens of how much area your going to make.

Make sure you mix the resin and hardner in the correct proportions, otherwise, the resin will either cure in 1min (NOT GOOD!! :o ) or will take hours to cure (That was me.. :crybaby: )

It should go off (cure) in about 20-30mins depending on temperture and your working surrounding, if it's warmer will set quicker, colder will take longer.

Stipple the fibreglass (like dabbing) from the middle-outwards to prevent airbubbles, not good of you do get airbubbles very hard to get out and nightmare to hide.

Don't cover too much area at once, when the fibreglass is saturated (looks clear) apply another layer. Try and cross the fibreglass layer over each other, rather than in one direction.

When you covered the required area with about 3-4 layers, let it cure for a few hours or overnight before pulling it out.

From here, you can build up more layers to the thickness you need, should be bout 7 layers.

If you need to trim it to size, get a dremel tool with a diamond cutter, don't bother with hacksaws or what have you, you'll be there all night, cutting, i was to start with, but soon found the quicker way.

You should end up with your basic mould from here, depending on what you do next, is up to you.

Sure this will give you a taster of whats install for using fibreglass.

I have a few spare bits from my project leftover, incase you need a few things, otherwise, head to here to get your supplies like as i did CFS Fibreglass

Have fun, if you need more info or help, just shout out

Bing

:thumbsup:

XLarge...that's the origal speakers fitted i guess...is it a 17cm?

The original rear Speakers are 13,5 cm, but have no normal fixingpoints. I destroyed the original Speakers and made converter-frames out of them so I could easly fix the new Speakers (Focal PolyGlass), witch shown in the pictures.

The frontspeakers are 16,5 cm sized.

@ man-bing: I have worked with fibreglass some times before. And You´re right, it glues everywhere. :D But it´s nice to see, what can be made out of it. I made a complete custom-frontspoiler for my Carina in the past and repaired the damaged sidepart of my MR2. Worst case of fibreglass-working: over head....

Regards, Eric

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links