Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Radar Detectors

TOYMOTA

I've been reading a few article on TOC about these detectors.

Are they worth having?

Do they pick up the cameras in the back of unmarked transit vans etc?

Which one is the best?

How muc are they

This is like the Spanish inquisition.....

Are they easy to fit??

Cheers :thumbsup:

I've got a Snoopr R5 (or something) .. it's only a laser/radar detector .. nothing fancy like GPS etc ..

Cost about 200, and has saved me from 2 cameras and 1 laser .. so 9 points and a few fines ..

Mine plugs into the ciggy lighter and sticks on the window ..

I've got a Snoopr R5 (or something) .. it's only a laser/radar detector .. nothing fancy like GPS etc ..

Cost about 200, and has saved me from 2 cameras and 1 laser .. so 9 points and a few fines ..

Mine plugs into the ciggy lighter and sticks on the window ..

I think the same.

If it warns me once (hasn't yet), It's paid for itself. :thumbsup:

I get a few "false negatives" .. just as long as it doesn't give a "false possitive" I'll be okay ..

got the same one as bibbs,its also saved me a couple of times and

saved my other half when he was driving.

so i'd say yes they are worth it and like bibbs said they just plug into

your sigy lighter.

I have the Snooper 715i - not GPS cost me about £160-ish new. It has warned me of a few Gatso's when I wasn't paying attention. It has only warned me of a mobile device once or twice.

But if it sounds a warning on a mobile camera/radar/lazer device - it's too late you're done (if the detector detects the lazer, thern the lazer has detected you). The only time it's effective with mobile devices is if the lazer/radar is reflected off someone elses car.

I am glad I bought mine. I consider myself a relatively good driver and usually spot cameras before my detector does - it's just the odd occasion when I have a lot on the mind and "forget" the cameras are there. Also I find that when the warnings sound - I am usually within the speed limits anyway...

It has also saved me about 9 points and a wedge of cash - so I think it's worth it B)

DEVICES which detect or jam speed cameras are to be banned because of concerns that drivers are exploiting them to drive over the speed limit without fear of being caught........

read more here...

I bought the new Road Angel last weekend and its great.

Saved me from SPECS a few times.

That case will never get through as the precedent was set, with the road angel i'll ust say its to warn me about blackspts and schools ;)

ive got the old road angel

its had a few pats for saving my bacon on a few occasions!

Do they all go into the ciggy lighters?

Mine's been broken since I bought the car in 2000. Probably broken long before then!

All it really needs is a +12V supply and a ground, you could dismantle the plug that connects it to the ciggy lighter and connect the two wires off to +12V and ground

in the cig lighter plug there is a hidden 1A fuse

Halfrauds sell replacment lighters. I might try one of those as they're only about £5-10ish. Even though I smoke i've never bothered replacing it. Porbably because when I was about 5 or 6 I powered up my dads one nd then proceeded to poke my finger onto the red hot lighter piece. They scare me!!! :eek:

Is it best to buy one of these radar detectors off t'internet to save some money? O jst get one from the local car parts shops? Anyone know the web addresses?? Ceers

Halfrauds sell replacment lighters. I might try one of those as they're only about £5-10ish. Even though I smoke i've never bothered replacing it. Porbably because when I was about 5 or 6 I powered up my dads one nd then proceeded to poke my finger onto the red hot lighter piece. They scare me!!! :eek:

Is it best to buy one of these radar detectors off t'internet to save some money? O jst get one from the local car parts shops? Anyone know the web addresses?? Ceers

I just paid £400 for the new RoadAngel and the Sun newspaper recently did an offer for £350 , Ah-well 4_12_10.gif

Detectors only pick up Radar (GATSO cameras) and laser (mobile cameras).

Generally good for Gatsos but chances are you've already been clocked if it picks up a laser.

Detectors don't pick up Truvelos (wire in the road) or SPECS (two cameras which average your speed over a fixed distance).

Detectors also prone to false alarms - my Snooper 715 used to go off when I went past Little Chefs! Got rid of it.

GPS based systems have a database of known locations and they know (via GPS) where you are. so they tell you as your car aproaches a known camera location. They will not tell you if the camera is live or not. Also they won't tell you about mobile cameras thought some , like the Cyclops' contain data regarding known temporary camera sites. They also tell you waht the limit is on that road.

Some systems combine GPS and detectors.

Personally, I got rid of my detector and got a GPS based system (Cyclops). Plugs in the lighter socket or can be hard wired. Brilliant bit of kit!

You also have to consider that detector may become illegal as they are in many parts of the EU.

THE place to go for information on all this is http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Detectors don't pick up Truvelos (wire in the road) or SPECS (two cameras which average your speed over a fixed distance).

I have had my SD715i for over a year now and it picks up SPECS :unsure: It detects anything that transmits frequency or light reactive source.

Detectors also prone to false alarms - my Snooper 715 used to go off when I went past Little Chefs! Got rid of it.

I think you will find that it wasn't the Little Chefs but the services attached to them. Most services have number plate recognition camera systems now and that is what the snooper is detecting. The number plate recognition camera use similar technology to the SPECS.

My Snooper also detects motion sensors on top of pedestrian lights and TV/garage door remotes even in City Mode - so I just switch it off when in towns. I only use it on open roads and motorways.

Detectors also prone to false alarms - I think you will find that it wasn't the Little Chefs but the services attached to them. Most services have number plate recognition camera systems now and that is what the snooper is detecting. The number plate recognition camera use similar technology to the SPECS.

My Snooper also detects motion sensors on top of pedestrian lights and TV/garage door remotes even in City Mode - so I just switch it off when in towns. I only use it on open roads and motorways.

I'm looking for something that's 100% going to pick up mobile radar guns etc (if this includes unmarked white vans with cameras in), as I mainly know where fixed cameras are cos on random journeys that I do I normally look at http://www.ukgatsos.com/ beforehand to see were the cameras are!

Do they tell you if they are fixed or mobile guns/cameras? (I supose it depends on make, model and price right)

My Dad has got a Snooper which bleeps a lot cos it also detects radars in lorrys, traffic lights, petrol garages etc. He mainly uses it for his van and used to swap it into his car but he got a bit lazy, forgot to swap it over and then got caught doing 55mph in a 40 mph near Southend - 3 points and £60 fine :unsure: so moral of the story - if u get one make sure u use it!!

I have had my SD715i for over a year now and it picks up SPECS

Sorry, but an SD715 won't pick up SPECS. SPECS use software to analyse the video pictures from the cameras at both ends of the timing zone....no radar involved. If you still don't believe me either read the SD715 manual or look here http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/specs.htm

Also, the Little Chef detection is most likely to be from automatic doors not number plate recognition cameras. Detectors, like the SD715, don't detect cameras beacause a camera is a device that reacts to light....cameras do not trasmit anything and so can't be detected. Detectors detect the radar that triggers the camera (or automatic doors for that matter).

The reason the SD715 is triggered by traffic lights etc is because they also use radar.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links