Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

headlight conversion to drive in Europe

Tony Dutton

Can 2019 Aygo headlights be adjusted to change from driving on the left side of the road (UK) to right side of the road (Netherlands)?

In a word no, the headlights are different, RHD aim left, LHD aim right

you can use beam benders / deflectors

eg. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Products-Travelspot-Eurolites-N92160/dp/B001P5SPJW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=beam+benders+aygo&qid=1600103522&quartzVehicle=111-1438&replacementKeywords=beam+benders&s=automotive&sr=1-2

PS. don't forget you need the correct safety equipment for the country  https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/netherlands/

Thanks Bob, we have the deflectors but will have to go for new headlights and thanks for the reminder of the safety eqpt - including breathalysers for France... 

12 hours ago, Tony Dutton said:

Thanks Bob, we have the deflectors but will have to go for new headlights and thanks for the reminder of the safety eqpt - including breathalysers for France... 

Actually the requirement to carry breathalysers in France is now out of date, see https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/35379/drivers-no-longer-required-to-carry-breathalysers-in-france

I just linked to the Dutch rules - the OP mentioned France

Edit. your link is from 2019 and says it 'Maybe' scraped by Oct 2020

A quick search shows the motoring organizations still say to carry them as France has a much lower limit to the UK

Thanks, France, Netherlands and Germany for us. Next challenge will be to see if I can get Toyota in Europe to fit right side of the road driving headlights to a car that was built for UK left side of the road driving. Can you tell me where the VIN plate is located on the Aygo? I'm not with the car at the moment and need to explain to my wife to photo it for me. Thanks.

You should have a plate like here, when you open one of the doors, usually the drive side.

VIN should be there. 

I dont know about registration papers, what do you have in UK, etc, but VIN is usually also written there.

image.thumb.png.835df4ae8fc9ccfe78bc3611f3a9cf98.png

Any Toyota dealer will be able to do it - check your V5c you will find the VIN on that

IIRC its on the driver's door pillar and stamped under the drivers seat

Thanks, France, Netherlands and Germany for us. Next challenge will be to see if I can get Toyota in Europe to fit right side of the road driving headlights to a car that was built for UK left side of the road driving. Can you tell me where the VIN plate is located on the Aygo? I'm not with the car at the moment and need to explain to my wife to photo it for me. Thanks.

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

A quick search shows the motoring organizations still say to carry them as France has a much lower limit to the

It's not about the lower limit - it's about the original law that meant you could be fined for not carrying an approved breathalyser, which has now been reduced to being given a note to "remind you" about the law. That law is due to be repealed later this year, originally next month but delayed due to Covid-19.

4 hours ago, Tony Dutton said:

Thanks, France, Netherlands and Germany for us. Next challenge will be to see if I can get Toyota in Europe to fit right side of the road driving headlights to a car that was built for UK left side of the road driving.

Will you be moving permanently to The Netherlands?

If not, the other challenge will be to get them swapped back when you return to the UK.

14 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

It's not about the lower limit - it's about the original law that meant you could be fined for not carrying an approved breathalyser, which has now been reduced to being given a note to "remind you" about the law. That law is due to be repealed later this year, originally next month but delayed due to Covid-19.

Semantics - So its a law still on the books so its still a legal requirement

The point of still carrying them is for personal use, so you know you're safe to drive if you do drink or the morning after the heavy night on the vino

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links