Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cranks but won’t start

Ian Mc

Hi, Just bought my Daughter a 2008 Aygo 1.0 petrol. Jacked the car up and put on stands, to clean out arches and underside to rust protect with Hammerite and Waxoyl - Now i’ve put the wheels back on and lowered the car down, it will not start. ‘STOP’ light flashes, cranks but will not fire. Fuses OK and I do not think there is a fuel cut off switch - Any ideas?

(Only other thing done is a new cover for the remote lock/unlock key)

Your old cover for the remote key has a self-contained immobiliser chip in it.  It is very small and easily overlooked!  Without this chip being presented to (very) near the ignition switch, the car will do exactly as you describe. 

Don't throw the old one away!  You need to find the small chip in it and fit it into your new fob. 

This is entirely separate to the door locking module that is powered by a button cell.

So, checking various connections and wires have integrity etc. I checked the old remote casing and found a tiny grey chip. Moved this into the new casing and it worked - The remote locking green PCB is different to the immobiliser proximity sensor - so glad I didn’t throw the old case away a week ago!!

Just now, Gerg said:

Your old cover for the remote key has a self-contained immobiliser chip in it.  It is very small and easily overlooked!  Without this chip being presented to (very) near the ignition switch, ithe car will do exactly as you describe.  Don't throw the old one away!  You need to find the small chip in it!

HI - Thanks - I realised and replied to my own post - As I replied, I saw your post - Thanks for your time to respond all the same - Hope these posts help others in the future.

(My Mrs was hell bent on it being because i’d jacked the rear up high - happy she’s wrong on this occasion)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links