Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dropping

ripspeedtimmy

Hi guys, new at this game,

not long had my corolla its a 1995 1.3 16v sportif model, 3 door, aqua blue, had it for about 3 months now, i have the exhaust and induction kit sorted (that was a pain in the ***** to find). just recently stuck a set of 17 inch rims on the motor with 205/40 tyres. Only thing is, this has made my back seats useless because of scraping on the rear. I have a set of 40 mm springs on order, but im wondering if im going to have to take out any inner arches, grind any arches, roll any arches etc etc. Help people! P.S if u see me in barry/cardiff gimme a toot! Cheers guys :D

tell me about it, my rear archs are wrecking my head, cant find any 2 roll them , advise not 2 use a angle grinder, it removes the spot welds holding the double skin together!!

roll them yourself it's easy.

get a suitable peice of equipment that will cut thin metal on the inner arches, make several cuts, then using a hammer, gently and carefully hammer each individual piece in.

I have done it a few times now, after doing that, rub down the metal, rust seal and paint with hammerite.

Remove arch liners to help, and also you can use the end of some hammers which have a ball shaped end to knock in the inner arches to help if it's rubbing there, the arches can take a lot of abuse inside, so don't be too worried about giving it hammer time lol :yes:

Kev

Im buying a set of 17's this week before JAE. Ive got 35 mm lowering springs too, do you think there will be much rubbing??

ross

use a rubber mallet and youwont wreck the existing paint, also heat the wheel arch lip up with a hair dryer or similar soit is hot to the touch, this will make the paint flexible.

Start at one end and gently work your way around the arch to the other, then start again... doing only small bends at a time, its too easy to whack it and crease the metal lip.

if you're worried about hitting it with a mallet, then use a cut down wooden broom handle, position yourself laying on your back and push the handle against the lip and roll it along applying firm pressure all the time, this way takes longer , a lot longer, makes you ache like hell but creates a much neater job.

R-Tec in Hertfordshire do arch rolling, give them a call...

Better to get it done proffessionally really..

Hey Tim!

im in Cardiff! What Rolla are you driving?! I have had 2 sets of wheel arches rolled by a dude up in Hirwaun. He is really good and has resprayed 2cars for me also. He charges me £20 for the rolling! Im gonna have my rollas done by him when I pick it up. Can give U his no if U E-mail me! rally_mad@msn.com

Ad

i hate to say this but if buy wheels in a 40mm they shouldnt catch anyway.....just a thought..and might save some people a few unessacary pounds somewhere along the line :thumbsup:

What about 38 mm offset??

Im hopefully getting a set before JAE so want to get proper ones, prob get arch lips rolled eventually anyway though.

ross

What about 38 mm offset??

Im hopefully getting a set before JAE so want to get proper ones, prob get arch lips rolled eventually anyway though.

ross

Check the offset of your current wheels - it should be cast in the back of the rim something like et=38.

i hate to say this but if buy wheels in a 40mm they shouldnt catch anyway.....just a thought..and might save some people a few unessacary pounds somewhere along the line  :thumbsup:

Well I hate to say lol :P that even a 40mm offset will still catch!

You will still need your arches rolled and the liners removed, if you intend on lowering 30mm then it will most certainly catch, boot installs weigh it down further.

forget the possibilty of rear passengers as well.

I've ordered some koni sport adjustables that should allow me to have 2 in the car, which doesn't catch as it is now just lowered on 30mm apexi springs, but will also enable me to still continue and finish my install.

Kev :)

Ok, cheers. But ive heard of people that change the offset slightly when they increase wheel size, or is that all rubbish?? lol :wacko:

well the offset as I understand it is the angle at which the wheel will sit at.

The corolla best suits between 35-38, go either side of that and I think that is what will affect the angle of the wheel and how it sits in the arch. I was advised when getting 17's to go for a 40mm offset.

The offset of a wheel is the measurement the wheel is offset from the centre line of the overall width of the wheel.”

A wheel which sits further under the wheel arch with a small outer rim is normally a negative offset shown as 'ET' offset. A wheel which sits further out with either a larger or small outer rim and a large block which takes the hub mounting face beyond the centre line is normally a positive offset and shown as an 'ET' offset.

An example - MO 6x15 (MO1560 ET49) has a negative offset and has a flat outer rim and the MS (MS1380 ET-06) has a positive offset with a dished front face and a large outer rim.

To work out the offset the wheel must be measured accurately using the following steps and using Diagram A

Measure the overall width of the wheel - (ii)

Measure the ‘T’ dimension, which is the measurement from the back of the bolt up face to the outside of the inner rim - (i)

Divide the overall width by two which gives you the centre line.

Minus the ‘T’ dimension from the centre line.

A negative answer the wheel would be ET.

A positive answer the wheel would be ET–.

An example - AT (AT1355) with an offset of ET35 has an overall width of 159.7mm. Therefore the centreline would be 79.85mm and the ‘T’ dimension should be 114.85mm.

So 114.85 - 79.85 = 35mm.

Kev

i hate to say this but if buy wheels in a 40mm they shouldnt catch anyway.....just a thought..and might save some people a few unessacary pounds somewhere along the line  :thumbsup:

Well I hate to say lol :P that even a 40mm offset will still catch!

You will still need your arches rolled and the liners removed, if you intend on lowering 30mm then it will most certainly catch, boot installs weigh it down further.

forget the possibilty of rear passengers as well.

I've ordered some koni sport adjustables that should allow me to have 2 in the car, which doesn't catch as it is now just lowered on 30mm apexi springs, but will also enable me to still continue and finish my install.

Kev :)

and i hate to say but as someone thats had his corolla for 4 years and 70,000 miles your wrong kev!! a 40mm offset willl not catch it doesnt catch with 5 in my car or with 3 people 3 tool boxs and assoerted work bags...so in laymans terms i KNOW it wont catch........35mm offsets wil catch al day there horrid and you cant take anyone in the back..but a 40mm will be absolutly spot on :thumbsup:

what size wheels do you have, width of wheel and trye size and what suspension mods have you done?

Kev

Cheers for the help guys! as you said boot installs weigh it down, and i can really agree with you there, it dropped my car at least 20mm as soon as it went it, Anyways time to start with the engine mod's, Got the induction kit and stainless induction piping done, exhaust is done, now looking for other things to do to it, e.g mid range chips, light pressure turbo's etc etc

Corollags im drivin round in a blue/green one mate, on 17's and dtm stainless exhaust, mostly drive round barry but u mite see me around.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links