Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slight engine vibration on 2015 Aygo - how do I make the engine run cleaner?

Chris Boddum

Hi!

I decided to buy the Aygo I talked about in a previous post (2015 Aygo X-Play, X-Touch) and it drives great, everything works! Since I work at a Toyota dealership, I tend to drive the new and used Aygos around and I’ve noticed that many of the used aygos don’t feel as clean running as the new ones (used still being the new X-models).

What would be a good way to get the engine running just a bit smoother? There is no hesitaten and it drives perfectly fine, just feels a bit agricultural at times! Maybe an engine cleaning additive or a few tanks of Shell V-Power?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi!
I decided to buy the Aygo I talked about in a previous post (2015 Aygo X-Play, X-Touch) and it drives great, everything works! Since I work at a Toyota dealership, I tend to drive the new and used Aygos around and I’ve noticed that many of the used aygos don’t feel as clean running as the new ones (used still being the new X-models).
What would be a good way to get the engine running just a bit smoother? There is no hesitaten and it drives perfectly fine, just feels a bit agricultural at times! Maybe an engine cleaning additive or a few tanks of Shell V-Power?
Thanks!
What you mean shaking from engine or just sounding like a misfire?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, gampla said:

What you mean shaking from engine or just sounding like a misfire?

Nothing as bad as a misfire, it honestly just feels like the engine sometimes vibrates a little bit (never under acceleration, always just when maintaining speed). Most Aygos feel like this after a few years making me think it might just need some injector cleaning, I think? Definitely no misfire and the engine seems to run a little poorer when the AC is on (expected, I guess!). Just feels like the engine could need a little internal cleaning? 

Speak to a mechanic see what they would suggest as they deal with it

The new Aygos from the 2018 facelift onwards, have a revised engine which included revisions to reduce vibration - see extract from Toyota UK blog:

"Changes include a new dual fuel injector system, a higher compression ratio, new low friction components, a cooled exhaust gas recirculation system and an improved balancer shaft for less vibration at idling speed. Output is slightly higher (+2bhp), now offering 71bhp at 6,000rpm, with 93Nm of torque at 4,400rpm, and a commensurate reduction in CO2 emissions."

• Like 2

Easier way would be put a supercharger on it tts performance supercharger up to 120hp on stock engine

Thank you both for answering - and that could explain why the 2018 models just feel a little more civilised! 
I did let a mechanic try out the car before buying and he said it feels totally normal with just a little engine vibration at speeds so to be honest, I’ll just try some injector cleaner and V-Power and see if that cleans it up a bit!

Thank you both for answering - and that could explain why the 2018 models just feel a little more civilised! 
I did let a mechanic try out the car before buying and he said it feels totally normal with just a little engine vibration at speeds so to be honest, I’ll just try some injector cleaner and V-Power and see if that cleans it up a bit!
Give it a good service too

Sent from my RCT6613W23PU using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, gampla said:

Give it a good service too

Sent from my RCT6613W23PU using Tapatalk

Definitely! The car only has 29.000 miles, so it's still somewhat new. I did the big service on it with oil and filters so everything should be good! I might change out the spark plugs as well as I don't really know how the previous owner drove it. Do you have any other good ideas on cleaning out the system / aiding smoother running on the Aygo engine?

Definitely! The car only has 29.000 miles, so it's still somewhat new. I did the big service on it with oil and filters so everything should be good! I might change out the spark plugs as well as I don't really know how the previous owner drove it. Do you have any other good ideas on cleaning out the system / aiding smoother running on the Aygo engine?
29,000 over 5 years 5800 a year that would suggest local runs possibly put some petrol cleaning addictive good service and some motorway driving

I give mine a dose of Redex fuel additive whenever it starts to feel a bit hesitant.
Motorway also does a good job

1 hour ago, gampla said:

29,000 over 5 years 5800 a year that would suggest local runs possibly put some petrol cleaning addictive good service and some motorway driving

I did talk to the previous owner and you are pretty much correct! It was owned by an elderly couple who drove it just around 5-10 km on trips and the occasional motorway trip. They just didn't drive it much or often. Sounds like it could need a little engine tune-up with some engine cleaning. Thanks!

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

I give mine a dose of Redex fuel additive whenever it starts to feel a bit hesitant.

Does sound like a good idea. I don't believe we have Redex where I live - is it an injector cleaner? 

Does sound like a good idea. I don't believe we have Redex where I live - is it an injector cleaner? 
Redex is a fuel treatment to clean injectors and fuel system

2 hours ago, gampla said:

Redex is a fuel treatment to clean injectors and fuel system

I will definitely try with some of that. I just went for a long motorway drive in it and it definitely improved the engine. It feels rock steady on the motorway now and it feels noticeably better around town so I think you guys are completely right - it just needs some fuel cleaning to stretch its legs.

I will definitely try with some of that. I just went for a long motorway drive in it and it definitely improved the engine. It feels rock steady on the motorway now and it feels noticeably better around town so I think you guys are completely right - it just needs some fuel cleaning to stretch its legs.
Most people who drive aygos don't give it enough time to heat up which will cause issues I've always taken my old aygo on a long distance to keep it clear

Mine always feels better after a long motorway journey every so often and  i aways let the engine run for a bit before any journey.

9 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Mine always feels better after a long motorway journey every so often and  i aways let the engine run for a bit before any journey.

As well as the Redex there's something else I do more regularly which is known as an "Italian Tune" - basically drive the car harder than you normally do; more revs, more throttle, etc. which will help clear any build-up of soot etc.

I've always found this helps make an engine run smoother.

• 2 months later...

I have an update and the fix: Driving it a little harder on long distances cleared it up a lot, but the actual fix was a timing chain! 

We found a Toyota service bulletin that showed that a sligjtly loose chain (I had barely any rattle on start up, 35k miles!) would be enough to cause a small misfire at <3000 rpm. We tightened the chain and sure thing, it all works now. 
Good luck to anyone who finds this post!

The best injector cleaner is BG44k, I’ve used it on several cars and noticed a decent improvement - it’s the most expensive (around £20) and you will need a funnel to get it in the tank - but it’s much much better than Redex 

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. I have a toyota aygo 2014. It seems to be having these issues that you guys mentioned. However mine also seems to be struggling when going over humps or hills. Any suggestions? Is it normal?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links