Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Read My Error Codes......

SMiFFAD

Right, i get the engine check light coming up, only ever happens at low revs like going slow on the motorway, about 2KRPM.... NEVER when caining it...

I get:

41 - throttle sensor

52 - knock sensor...

To me, this is telling me i need to get my timing sorted for UK fuel (tis an import)

Knacked o2 sensor?

Anyone who has more knowledge care to give a second diagnosis?

when you say not caining going slow your not making the engine 'labour' i.e. going WOT the in a high gear at low revs. Cause that'll definately induce knock on an import, will cause knock on uk spec too.

2K in top is still 40 ish so you aren't really labouring the engine. If those are your error codes then the ECU is seeing bad signals from those sensors. The knock sensor detects detonation which can destroy a turbo engine . They are pretty expensive although I believe you can get better quality and cheaper ones from some other car. It certainly doesn't sound like an O2 sensor problem.

to set the scene, pootling along the motorway in 5th, doing abour 2-2.5K rpm, ping, on comes the light.... keep it above 3K and and im pretty sure it never comes on..... just seems to be at lower revs, also get it slowley wandering round country lanes etc.... cain it and she's fine :blink:

Maybe she is telling me i need to drive faster :ph34r:

It was hell driving the 100 miles home on sunday, M3 and M25 moving really slowly, so must have happened about 10 times :angry: corse then it wont accelerate at all so have to switch off and on again :crybaby:

My theory with the o2 sensor was its not working proper like, so is giving duff info to the ecu, which is thus getting the fueling wrong, causeing knock......

PLUS, i have a dogegd idle, which i though might be related to O2 sensor...

I see your reasoning here but over fuelling shouldn't in itself cause knock, you'll just have a lot of unburnt fuel going through the exhaust(getting flames??). I guess you could get the base ignition timing checked. If it was too far out for the ECU to be able to compensate then you might get knock, but if it was that far out then surely the engine would run bad all the time. When the O2 sensor on my N/A failed the tick over wasn't as smooth(still OK though) but I didn't get any warning lights, I only found out it had gone because it failed the MoT on emissions, the only other symptom was that it would feel like you were driving through deep water when accelerating then all of a sudden you were in the clear but at the time I put that down (wrongly) to needing new plugs etc.

I see your reasoning here but over fuelling shouldn't in itself cause knock, you'll just have a lot of unburnt fuel going through the exhaust(getting flames??). I guess you could get the base ignition timing checked. If it was too far out for the ECU to be able to compensate then you might get knock, but if it was that far out then surely the engine would run bad all the time. When the O2 sensor on my N/A failed the tick over wasn't as smooth(still OK though) but I didn't get any warning lights, I only found out it had gone because it failed the MoT on emissions, the only other symptom was that it would feel like you were driving through deep water when accelerating then all of a sudden you were in the clear but at the time I put that down (wrongly) to needing new plugs etc.

Hmm, timeing check may be the first port of call...... cheers, will let you know how i get on....

Sorted B)

Me and a mate played with the idle, on sitting and listening to the enging for a bit you could blatently hear it wasnt happy, she now purrs like a kitten, and goes better as well :hokus-pokus:

Also fixed my leccy mirrors, was a duff cable between the body and the door, they now flap as they should :group-cuddles:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links