Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Daytime running lights

Aygoramba

Hi all,

I have a question about how daytime running lights work, because for some reason, mine are now on all the time, even when the engine is off. I have a 2013 Aygo Fire and had honestly never noticed the DRLs until a couple of days ago, presumably because they were only on when I was sitting in the driver's seat. But the other night (this was after dark) I noticed that they were on after I had got out of the car (engine off, head- and sidelights off). They turned off not long after, however, clearly there is a fault because pretty much every time I go out to the car now the DRLs are on. They flicker off if I lock / unlock the car but immediately come back on. Unsurprisingly this seems to have run down the Battery so I can't take the car anywhere to get it looked at right now.

Any ideas as to what might be causing the problem, and how it might be resolved? I have racked my brains and can't think of anything unusual I've done which could have led to this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I would try to find out what relay controls the DRLs. Sounds like there is an issue with it and needs changing. Ours is a Mk1 without DRLs so cannot tell you which relay it is

4 hours ago, SimonIG10 said:

I would try to find out what relay controls the DRLs. Sounds like there is an issue with it and needs changing. Ours is a Mk1 without DRLs so cannot tell you which relay it is

Yes, that would be my suggestion too.

The relay for DRLs is not straightforward as it will need a feed from the side & headlight circuits because the DRLs are meant to extinguish if either of these are switched on.  It also has a feed from the parking brake circuit as after starting the car, they don't come on until the first time the parking brake is released.

Of course, it may be some sort of computerised relay that gets info from the car's data network rather than a direct feed from the lighting and brake circuits.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links