Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev Dial Gone Psycho -please Help

remark

Guys,

On the way to work today I had a race off the lights against an rx8 and I missed second gear and properly crunched it :shame on you:

Well anyway after about another 5 mins or so driving, I notice that occasionally when pulling off in first or second or crawling in traffic my Rev dial was going wacko...and I mean wacko it was going all over the shop, from 6k to 9k to 2k to 5k etc etc as if it had a life of it's own and was completely ignoring how much throttle I was putting on. It did it quite alot but once I was at a steady cruising speed it would behave itself.

Does anyone have any ideas please ????

Sorry mate, no idea, i mean if the car was actually revving higher when you put your foot down, i would think it was the clutch slipping, but this sounds completely different.

Dave!

Dude it sounds like your running that car into the ground! :blink: LOL

You might want to consider driving the car like an MR2 and not a Ferarri :rolleyes:

May well be a short in one of the cables .. my speedo used to do the same and traced it back to a cracked solder joint on the de-limiter ..

Lol snake :P, ur only saying that cos you remember my post about the JAg s-type the other day....

I'm not running it into the ground dude i promise I love my car more (sometimes i worry too much ;)) I drive to and from work in it everyday...however i sometimes (not often) get the urge to boost hard and an rx8 was way to tempting especially if you'd seen the arrogant sob driving it.

I'm gonna get a short shifter tho cos i hate crunching gears. I always feel guilty after ragging it....

Erm I am getting an engine rebuild done at the end of the year so thats some consolation :)

Anyway I don't want a ferrari, not my cup of tea. The only thing i'll move onto after my 2 will be an R33 GTR.

Someone was saying that i could of caused the dial to come loose when i was ragging it. Or a loose connection in the wires ?? what u reckon

Lol snake :P, ur only saying that cos you remember my post about the JAg s-type the other day....

I'm not running it into the ground dude i promise I love my car more (sometimes i worry too much ;)) I drive to and from work in it everyday...however i sometimes (not often) get the urge to boost hard and an rx8 was way to tempting especially if you'd seen the arrogant sob driving it.

I'm gonna get a short shifter tho cos i hate crunching gears. I always feel guilty after ragging it....

Erm I am getting an engine rebuild done at the end of the year so thats some consolation :)

Anyway I don't want a ferrari, not my cup of tea. The only thing i'll move onto after my 2 will be an R33 GTR.

Someone was saying that i could of caused the dial to come loose when i was ragging it. Or a loose connection in the wires ?? what u reckon

LOL Im just messin :D

It just sounds that evertime you give someone a go your car goes a bit t1ts shortly after hehe :blink:

Bibbs m8 it's a rev 1 1990.

Lol snake thats cool. I think you're onto something there about how everytime i give it some, i get a problem perhaps its my drivin :( ....well that incident with the JAg im just puttin down to prolonged speed on a hot day and me possibly needing colder grade sparkies..

I'm changing out the dials soon so i think i'll try an sort it then as i reckon it might be just a loose needle or sensor at the back.

On a completely different not im gettin my zorst (HKS Hi-power) and my BOV (hks ssqv) and Blitz SUS filter, tomorrow finally after waiting like 3 MONTHS!! :note avoid doin business with Yanks :P:

Yay can't wait :) :stupid grin:

Am just prayin i don't get TOO many probs with the bov as i know it's a bad idea on rev 1s.

+ just got my FCD and am tryin to decide on an EBC now to whack my boost up :)

Have a look on the back of the G'box .. that's where the speed cable comes from .. not sure if it's the same one as the revs ..

I had the same thing happen on my 205GTi... just before the engine caught fire. Serious! It was, as Bibbs rightly suggests, a short in the loom which burnt all the way down into the engine!

The car, the car, the car is on fire... we don't need no water let the mother f*cker burn!!! :lol:

Get a sparky to look at it. Best advice. :ph34r:

I had the same thing happen on my 205GTi... just before the engine caught fire. Serious! It was, as Bibbs rightly suggests, a short in the loom which burnt all the way down into the engine!

The car, the car, the car is on fire... we don't need no water let the mother f*cker burn!!! :lol:

Get a sparky to look at it. Best advice. :ph34r:

LOL thats just reminded me of something that made me wee myself about a year ago.

There was this meet (random cars), and one of the home boys had this chaved out 'thing' which he obviously thought was the nuts. Anyway dawg was standing there in all the usual hardman poses 'giving it large' when all of a sudden smoke and flames started to flicker out from under his bonnet. This might have been due to all the excessive rev'ing a little while previous.

At this point he flew into a blind panic, street cred out the window, trying to put the fire out with a sheet that was in his boot. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to die.

I wouldnt usually laugh at something like that but he was such a chilled out gangsta home dawg that it just cracked me up!

Never saw that car again as it goes, wonder what he did with all the max power stickers :blink:

Just to say gents....

It hasn't done it since....last night or today on the way to work...Jesus do you think i should still be worrying about what you said ??

Secondly on a more happier note i finally got my stuff today. HKS exhaust is lurrvvlly wanna fit it NOW..and i have an HKS ssqv and blitz sus sitting on my desk, keep looking at it and makin stupid noises in my head :)

lol want to go home now and fit this stuff ;)

Jesus do you think i should still be worrying about what you said ??

If it hasn't done it again I shouldn't worry mate. Put it down maybe to just 'one of them things'.

If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. While your engine is revving round at even 4000rpm there are so many things that could go wrong... but probably never will. The more you think about it, the more you'd worry.

Sometimes I envy people that now f*ck all about how engines work, as they have very little knowledge of what could go wrong.

My mate used to live in Luton in Hockwell Ring. He went out to his car one morning and nothing happened when he turned the key. He genuinely thought someone had stolen his engine!... I'm sure you can all guess it was just a flat Battery!

Don't worry about it mate, unless it makes a habit of it. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links