Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Refurbished Wheels

Debz

Hey Guys,

I refurbed my wheels a couple of months ago, it was a lo of hard work and was pleased with the result.

I (well not me actually) was washing her yesterday and found that the corrosion of the wheels has come back through :angry:

I can't beleive it happened so quikly, I didnt expect my job to last as long as a pro job, but a sight longer than this :eek: Not impressed :crybaby::crybaby:

Did you use the right primer. I think you would need a self etching primer on the alloy. Its slightly acid so it keys itself to the surface.

How did you refurb them?

Dave!

I sanded them down, taking all the flakeyness off then primed painted and laquered :unsure:

I was so pleased :(

Yeh you need to use etching primer, its specifically for metal, its mainly used when they start from scratch.

Dave!

alloys can be a bugger! Dont give up, try what Rookey suggested for a longer lasting finish :thumbsup:

Pay the money and get them done properly! ;)

If they start corroding then, at least you can go back to them and get them sorted for free.

...by the way, if you do get them done professionally, just mention that you have sprayed them yourself, as they'll need to get rid of all the cellulose paint you put on.

They should do this anyway though when stripping them down. Just a thought. :ph34r:

Yeh you need to use etching primer, its specifically for metal, its mainly used when they start from scratch.

Dave!

Darn it :blink:

Unforunately I cant afford to have them done pro hence why i diy'd it. ;)

They will have to wait now!! :(

...of course, I wasn't implying your job wouldn't look professional! :P

I was just thinking by the time you keep paying out for new cans of primer and paint and sandpaper and masking tape, and the time involved... it might be more cost effective! ;) :lol:

Debs, Did you take the tyres off then when you done it? as i might do it to mine before JAE, want to colour mine black.

It shouldnt cost you much more to do it, just a lot more effort as when you use etching primer it really does have to be back to bare metal, other wise its going to turn out with cracks everywhere after a couple of days.

Dave!

Jesus - :P i should think not :P I am a pro really, was obv just having an off day!!!

When I get a job and somewhere to live I will think about my wheels again!! B)

Unless I can bribe someone to give me a freebeee!! Prob is m not single so may be a touch tricky ( can't think of any other way to bribe!!)

:P i should think not :P I am a pro really, was obv just having an off day!!!

:blink: Really? :huh:

:lol::lol::lol:

Debs, Did you take the tyres off then when you done it? as i might do it to mine before JAE, want to colour mine black.

It shouldnt cost you much more to do it, just a lot more effort as when you use etching primer it really does have to be back to bare metal, other wise its going to turn out with cracks everywhere after a couple of days.

Dave!

I didn't take the tyres off, just papered them.

I didnt take all the old paint off as that is near on impossible without some hardcore tool, I used a lot of elbow grease and wet and dry to take all the damaged parts down to the metal, and the central bits that were ok I just sanded so were really scored. That part is still ok, its just where the really bad parts were have flaked off again. :(

so i guess i wont bother meeting u in carphone warehouse carpark to take a look then, now!

sorry to hear the news debz. we could always approach a few peeps i have numbers of, and see if they will do a slight discount to do yours and mine together. :thumbsup:

Yeah sorry never said anymore about that havn't been in Sheffield since may. I am actually moving next month. Depending on how things go, maybe we could catch up before i leave :D

Hope things are good with you. B)

where u moving to?

all good with me debz thx. are u going to jae? im 99% sure im going sunday, and my mate with the maxpower skyline may be going at same time. u could join the convoy if u like.

im not sure what time its expected to be, but will be leaving meadowhall maybe late morning. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I can't make it mate, not been well (gutted) And am not in Shef at the min nehows, down south with my boyfriend, being looked after!!

Not sure where i will move to yet, will sort that when better.

Have fun on Sunday.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links