Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help-charging Probs!

alex_93gtuk

Ok, firstly hello, I just joined!

On friday I picked up my first mr2. A white 93 uk gt.Well chuffed. Got most the way up the M3 and the ammeter/voltmeter started to drop!? Dials and radio started to get funky and eventually I made it to a friends and borrowed a booster pack to limp home.

The Battery wasnt charging at 14 volts and was reading something like 11.6. Belt was on and tight and all the connections were intact to the alternator.

So, looking like a dead alternator a new one was bought and fitted next day(what a pain in the *****!) Cranked the car up and the voltmeter/ammeter shot up and we were reading 14 volts at the Battery! At that point I was well chuffed.

But, 10 mins down the road and the Battery gauge started to drop, and I broke down! RAC came out, checked the alternator three pin plug was in tight (even greased it a little), belt was on and tight. But only showing 11.6 volts at the battery and also the fuse box. He did have to do up the positive terminal on the battery as it was slightly loose, saying that this may have screwed up the new alternator??

The car is now at my friends garage and I havent heard much since. Im thinking I may have been supplied a crap alternator (made by XL?!?!) that was a recon unit that literally lasted 10mins! The battery was new in June for the MOT and is a decent VARTA.

Im stuck from here and would like to know of any suggestions or similar problems people have had?

Thanks in advance

Alex

Could be an earthing problem...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links