Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla (2019 onwards) spare wheel

Micken

I recently had my first experience with Corolla's awful Puncture 'Repair' Kit.

I read several times on-line that most Puncture Repairers won't repair a punctured tyre that has that kit's gunge in it - they will only sell you a new tyre. Thanks Toyota!! 

Anyway, I'm going to get a Space Saver wheel for future use.

I had a look under my car today to check that it had strengthened spots to take a jack to lift the car, and couldn't find any. 

It's a 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback Hybrid. 

Anyone know if it would take a jack? What should I be looking for under the car?

Also, what numbers should I be looking for on a secondhand Space Saver wheel? I can't afford the astronomical price Toyota charges for a new Space Saver wheel.

Thank you very much.   

Look for the notches in the pinch weld seam - That usually indicates where the jacking points are for widowmaker I mean scissor jacks. :whistling1: :laugh: 

You can also download a PDF manual from the Toyota website which should also show them in more detail.

There are companies that sell space-saver kits, otherwise eBay or a breakers yard.

And don't blame Toyota for omitting it - Blame the homologation standards for not excluding safety equipment from the tests and thus penalizing manufacturers for putting in such equipment. I'm just thankful Toyota left a space for it - Many manufacturers don't, so there's no where to put one even if you buy it afterwards!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'm just thankful Toyota left a space for it - Many manufacturers don't, so there's no where to put one even if you buy it afterwards!

including the Lexus LBX, which is a posh version of the Yaris Cross, which does still have provision to fit one. FWD only ...

• Like 2

I fitted a full size wheel that I obtained from a breakers in to my Corolla , there's a threaded hole for the fastener if you cut the material , fitting the wheel face down allows for storage space for tools etc 

• Like 2

Similar topics merged

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Look for the notches in the pinch weld seam - That usually indicates where the jacking points are for widowmaker I mean scissor jacks. :whistling1: :laugh: 

You can also download a PDF manual from the Toyota website which should also show them in more detail.

Besides the usual pinch-weld lift points, the nice thing about the current Corolla is that Toyota have still remembered the DIYer and provided 2 recommended points for raising the entire front or rear with a trolley jack. Very few manufacturers still bother to do that.

OTOH, I think it's scandalous that manufacturers in general continue to get away with supplying inadequate substitutes for a spare wheel or only offering it as an optional extra. This is just the kind of issue that legislation (EU or otherwise) should be tackling instead of mandating the fitment of annoying speed warnings.

3 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Besides the usual pinch-weld lift points, the nice thing about the current Corolla is that Toyota have still remembered the DIYer and provided 2 recommended points for raising the entire front or rear with a trolley jack. Very few manufacturers still bother to do that.

OTOH, I think it's scandalous that manufacturers in general continue to get away with supplying inadequate substitutes for a spare wheel or only offering it as an optional extra. This is just the kind of issue that legislation (EU or otherwise) should be tackling instead of mandating the fitment of annoying speed warnings.

I think the lack of spare wheel these days is to reduce weight. Lower weight = lower co2 rating for the car. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corolla Mike. said:

I think the lack of spare wheel these days is to reduce weight. Lower weight = lower co2 rating for the car. 

Negated by carrying 3 adults and a dog

I think that with tyre technology improving all the time that run flats could be viable in the future. My son until recently had a Mini Cooper JCW with Bridgestone run flats and to be fair they gave a reasonable ride. I suspect the suspension was tuned to suit them.

When I bought my Corolla, one of the first things was to check in the boot for a spare, which it has got a spacesaver. The salesperson saw that as a concern of mine to try (unsuccessfully) to sell me tyre insurance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Corolla Mike. said:

It's the usual excuse, yes. I find it somewhat ironic, considering how much the weights and dimensions of vehicles in general have increased over the last 30 years (hundreds of kgs) purely so that they can be made to meet more stringent safety standards, and a spare wheel is, after all, a piece of safety equipment.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

I think that's partly because in most other cars you can jack them up by the gearbox or diff but it very sternly tells you not to do this with the hybrids and gives you alternative 'safe' places :laugh: 

32 minutes ago, Corolla Mike. said:

Yup, that's exactly it.

25 minutes ago, Jayel said:

I think that with tyre technology improving all the time that run flats could be viable in the future. My son until recently had a Mini Cooper JCW with Bridgestone run flats and to be fair they gave a reasonable ride. I suspect the suspension was tuned to suit them.

When I bought my Corolla, one of the first things was to check in the boot for a spare, which it has got a spacesaver. The salesperson saw that as a concern of mine to try (unsuccessfully) to sell me tyre insurance.

One thing I don't understand is why tyre manufacturers aren't forced to put puncture-sealing compounds in all their tyres - I used some third-party stuff and it was exceptionally good at sealing punctures; The only reason I stopped using it was it was a liquid gel and would make the wheel vibrate alarmingly at certain resonant speeds.

However, things like ContiSeal have the same effect but are a fixed layer in the tyre and don't move about, so don't cause similar imbalances. I'd love to get some but they only make them in very specific sizes, nothing a normal car uses...

With this EU drive to reduce tyre waste you'd think that'd be one of the first things they'd mandate do but no, they want some physics-defying stupidness of tyres performing the same at 1.6mm that they do when new, which manufacturers will probably comply with by making the default tread depth 3mm...

12 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

It's the usual excuse, yes. I find it somewhat ironic, considering how much the weights and dimensions of vehicles in general have increased over the last 30 years (hundreds of kgs) purely so that they can be made to meet more stringent safety standards, and a spare wheel is, after all, a piece of safety equipment.

And don't forget this trend of putting bigger and heavier rims too...!

I wonder how much fuel has been wasted by everything having massive rims by default...!

• Like 1

If you do go 2nd hand route, when it arrives check it fits. I bought one 2nd hand and almost a year later found it didn't fit. It appears it's for an Avensis. Thankfully it was discovered at a tyre fitters as they were going to put it on to keep me going till a new tyre arrived later that day. It was advertised for a Corolla. I've since bought new from Toyota. Ended up costing me a lot more overall.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

There are companies that sell space-saver kits, otherwise eBay or a breakers yard.

And don't blame Toyota for omitting it - Blame the homologation standards for not excluding safety equipment from the tests and thus penalizing manufacturers for putting in such equipment. I'm just thankful Toyota left a space for it - Many manufacturers don't, so there's no where to put one even if you buy it afterwards!

Thanks, Cyker, but absolutely no notches - or any indication of strengthened points to take a jack.

I'm assuming now that if Toyota don't supply spare wheel, that they have dispensed with jack-points under the car too. 

I took delivery of a new 2ltr G R Sport Hatch in October 23, at the point of ordering the car I was able to place an order for a Toyota space saver kit for the car, which comprised of the space saver wheel, jack, wheel brace etc and the sculptured moulding for the tools to locate into.

The kit was fitted to my car prior to taking delivery. Cost of the kit supplied and fitted was £380.

Not cheap but gives me piece of mind especially when on long journeys.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Corolla Mike. said:

Extra weight should cancel out on a Hybrid because the kinetic energy gained when accelerating or going up hill is recovered by regenerative braking when slowing down or going down hill 

• Like 1

Run flat tyres are horrible idea and does not help at all in reality. 
Most of the breakdowns I see are actually on cars fitted with these. 
Car weight does affect fuel consumption and co2 plus performance, and indeed manufacturers are trying to cut weight. 
There are jacking points on any car including Corolla regardless of if it’s coming with a jack or not from the factory. Driver may not need to lift up the car but other mechanics, or mot will do.  These points likely not gonna be marked on the plastic exterior, but they are on the metal work under , will look like a comb cuts, 10-15 cm of each end on the 4 corners. 👍

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bricriu said:

Thanks, Cyker, but absolutely no notches - or any indication of strengthened points to take a jack.

I'm assuming now that if Toyota don't supply spare wheel, that they have dispensed with jack-points under the car too. 

There are two jack points on each side of the car under the sills. They are a couple of inches behind the front wheel and a couple of inches in front of the back wheel. They are made obvious by notches either side of the jacking point. Of course, you could just look up this information in the manual, but then this thread would be a lot shorter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RabButler said:

Of course, you could just look up this information in the manual, but then this thread would be a lot shorter.

The manual  .. hmm. Was looking for information re my sunroof, nothing. Eventually found the info under moonroof. It's great if you know what you are looking for is called in Toyota speak.

Sorry, a tad off subject.

• Haha 2

On 8/11/2024 at 9:36 PM, Corolla Mike. said:

That and the fact very few people these days know how to change a wheel or are too scared to change a wheel. It is not part of the driving test (It should!) so you tend to find that not many people actually care if the car has a spare wheel or not, we are in the minority here.

Most of the big german manufacturers have removed the spare wheel well entirely and use it for the Battery and storage so you don't have a choice!

Its scary the amount of people I see standing on the hard shoulder waiting for the AA to show up just because they've got a puncture and can't fix it themselves.

• Like 2

To be fair, have you tried to jack up a modern car on a screw jack, esp. a loaded one? It ain't easy!!

I imagine a lot of people wouldn't have the strength to do so - It takes a LOT of effort because they are so much heavier.

My Auris-owning colleague carries a trolley jack with him and only uses the scissor jack to lift the Auris up just enough so he can get the other jack under it (The sills on his Auris are too low for his jack to get under!). It seems the one time he used the scissor jack on its own strained him so much it's apparently given him mild PTSD :laugh: 

And that's not even considering how scary it is to be broken down on the motorway, esp. a Smart Motorway - There is no way in hell I would even contemplate trying to change a tyre myself if I broke down on one of those!!! :eek: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

To be fair, have you tried to jack up a modern car on a screw jack, esp. a loaded one? It ain't easy!!

I imagine a lot of people wouldn't have the strength to do so - It takes a LOT of effort because they are so much heavier.

My Auris-owning colleague carries a trolley jack with him and only uses the scissor jack to lift the Auris up just enough so he can get the other jack under it (The sills on his Auris are too low for his jack to get under!). It seems the one time he used the scissor jack on its own strained him so much it's apparently given him mild PTSD :laugh: 

And that's not even considering how scary it is to be broken down on the motorway, esp. a Smart Motorway - There is no way in hell I would even contemplate trying to change a tyre myself if I broke down on one of those!!! :eek: 

Electronic jacks are your friend lol. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CQQX66WP/

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RabButler said:

There are two jack points on each side of the car under the sills. They are a couple of inches behind the front wheel and a couple of inches in front of the back wheel. They are made obvious by notches either side of the jacking point. Of course, you could just look up this information in the manual, but then this thread would be a lot shorter.

Thanks, RabButler.

I did look in the manual, and all it gives is a rough diagram with circles around the general points where jack is to be placed.

No details about the points where the jack is to be placed.

If one places the jack under the wrong point, the car will just collapse onto it causing damage to the underside, as well as producing a nice new, expensive painting job.

10 hours ago, Paul john said:

Electronic jacks are your friend lol. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CQQX66WP/

Thanks, I'll have to tell his missus to get him one for his birthday/xmas :laugh: 

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links